• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Otterbox case or similar

Ayrow

Nov 2, 2009
I've always used Otterbox cases on my phones.
For those of you not familiar, they are the best cases you can buy.
They are military-spec cases that will protect it through just about anything, even water.

I contacted Otterbox and they had no plans to make a case for this phone.

Has anyone found anything similar that will work with the Motorola Droid?

This is probably not much help to you, but I will offer my two cents anyway. Case Mate is making Clear Armor for the Droid and Amzer is making a snap on case for the front and back of the Droid. I had a Otterbox Defender for my 3Gs and it worked great for protection. I even dropped the phone in water and no water entered the case. Otterbox will not make a case for any phone unless they can sell at least 100K of them. Maybe when the popularity of the Droid takes off they will reconsider. Amazon will start listing more accessories for the Droid in the next week or two. LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING MY DROID!

Upvote 0
I would be happy to lose the slide-out keyboard for the protection of an Otterbox, frankly.

Also, I think they could do a Commuter case that supports the slide, by having a full-length sealing port across the top side of the device, allowing the screen to push out through the opening and exposing the keyboard below. It wouldn't be waterproof, but none of the Commuter cases are.

Upvote 0
So this is of course hearsay, but I was talking to the verizon guy, and he said that he had heard from an otterbox employee (I live where the company is) that they were working on something for the droid, but apparently there werent any details.
so im crossing my fingers and waiting for them to showup with something

Upvote 0
if you just want waterproof, aquapac
Waterproof iPhone case <BR>(104)

works pretty well using virtual keyboard and the camera still can take pics.

I've had mine in tossed around around in large surf (attached to a kitesurfing kite that crashed) for 30 min and no leaks.

but obviously not impact resistant, like a hard case would be. nice for use on a small boat/kayak as you can put the lanyard around your neck and tuck it into a wetsuit..a hard box would be too bulky for that. Doing GPS tracks and having a phone to organize drop offs and pick ups is pretty useful and fun

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones