• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [OUDHS] Clockworkmod Recovery 1.0.3.4

The date thing is a bug with Recovery, the timestamp is broken. the size and date sound about right for a backup. go ahead and try to restore it,

In general, what have folks here experienced with Restore? If the date of the backup is off, does that effect the timestamp of the folders/files that are restored? And, is this pretty much a 1-to-1 restore? i.e. U get back what you backed up - no more no less?

EDIT: Volume+/-Power Menu - I thought I was hitting the "UP" button. I must have hit "Backup" by mistake. I think the backup must have defaulted to my internal storage. I am getting warning about "Low On Space" - about 42 MB left. How do I go about deleting the backup on my internal storage? And, for that matter, I would like to delete my first backup to my external SD Card, create another backup and then restore immediately from that. What menu choice(s) do I have to make in order to restore from the Backup on my external SD? [This is why I ask so many questions. The "UP" button has gotten me twice. I think it is going to take me back to the main menu. This time around something called "Rainbow" mode started]

Upvote 0
Use root explorer or other file manager.

Navigate your way, from root: (meaning if you go back any further the app will close)

mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod. Now, highlight the clockworkmod folder and delete it. Yes, the whole thing, you don't need that folder there anymore. Once you delete it, you will get your phone space back.

And before you ask, sdcard is your internal storage. mnt/sdcard2 is your external card :)

Upvote 0
What menu choice(s) do I have to make in order to restore from the Backup on my external SD? [This is why I ask so many questions. The "UP" button has gotten me twice. I think it is going to take me back to the main menu. This time around something called "Rainbow" mode started]

Go into recovery (from power off or reboot command)

From main menu, select:

backup and restore --> restore from external sd card -->

You should now see your backup file, which probably starts with 1970 ;) Select it and go.

Upvote 0

From main menu, select:

You should now see your backup file, which probably starts with 1970 ;) Select it and go.

I need to clarify a few things:
/mnt/sdcard points to my external SD card. /mnt/sdcard2 points to my internal phone storage. /mnt/sdcard has the clockworkmod folder [1.03 GB]. I have an app, File Manger by Rhmsoft, that does "Storage Analysis" for /mnt/sdcard showing this. The damn app won't do the same storage analysis for /mnt/sdcard2 though. This would tell us exactly where the internal storage is being taken up. /mnt/sdcard2 now has some folders where the timestamp is off. I may have done something else by mistake other than a simple restore. Is there a log file(s) that would clarify this some more? And, to be clear, "Root Explorer", also shows /mnt/sdcard2 having 2.28GB taken up with very little space left over. And, /mnt/sdcard having only 1.65GB used.

Upvote 0

From main menu, select:

/mnt/sdcard points to my external SD card. /mnt/sdcard2 points to my internal phone storage. /mnt/sdcard has the clockworkmod folder [1.03 GB]. I have an app, File Manger by Rhmsoft, that does "Storage Analysis" for /mnt/sdcard showing this. The damn app won't do the same storage analysis for /mnt/sdcard2 though. This would tell us exactly where the internal storage is being taken up. /mnt/sdcard2 now has some folders where the timestamp is off. I may have done something else by mistake other than a simple restore. Is there a log file(s) that would clarify this some more? And, to be clear, "Root Explorer", also shows /mnt/sdcard2 having 2.28GB taken up with very little space left over. And, /mnt/sdcard having only 1.65GB used. /mnt/sdcard2 has not clockworkmod folder. The space must be taken up elsewhere?

My point is before doing anything else I want to know what is taking up extra internal storage?

I'm not sure how I got two posts here...

Upvote 0
/mnt/sdcard points to my external SD card. /mnt/sdcard2 points to my internal phone storage. /mnt/sdcard has the clockworkmod folder [1.03 GB]. I have an app, File Manger by Rhmsoft, that does "Storage Analysis" for /mnt/sdcard showing this. The damn app won't do the same storage analysis for /mnt/sdcard2 though. This would tell us exactly where the internal storage is being taken up. /mnt/sdcard2 now has some folders where the timestamp is off. I may have done something else by mistake other than a simple restore. Is there a log file(s) that would clarify this some more? And, to be clear, "Root Explorer", also shows /mnt/sdcard2 having 2.28GB taken up with very little space left over. And, /mnt/sdcard having only 1.65GB used.

Well, that's strange :thinking: I don't understand why it would be reversed on your phone if you haven't done anything other than root it, but it is possible that it may be the case here.

I can definitely confirm that LOL, all of my anime schwagg is definitely on my external :D:D, labeled mnt/sdcard2. Anyway, use root explorer to check both sdcard and sdcard2 to determine assignment, like looking for files you KNOW are definitely on your external.

Do mnt/sdcard and mnt/sdcard2 both contain clockworkmod folders?

Upvote 0
Well, that's strange :thinking: I don't understand why it would be reversed on your phone if you haven't done anything other than root it, but it is possible that it may be the case here.

This was from another thread here: Storage Settings->Set Default Storage Location to External SD Card.

I can definitely confirm that LOL, all of my anime schwagg is definitely on my external :D:D, labeled mnt/sdcard2. Anyway, use root explorer to check both sdcard and sdcard2 to determine assignment, like looking for files you KNOW are definitely on your external.

Do mnt/sdcard and mnt/sdcard2 both contain clockworkmod folders?

mnt/sdcard is the only one with clocksworkmod.

What size sdcard do you have inserted into the phone right now? Please don't tell me it's a 2GB LOL :D That may help anyway....

It is a 32GB Micro SD Card.

So, in short, I need some clarity here. Is there an app that will break down all your storage and display it in by size? I mentioned an app in my previous post that for some reason does this for /mnt/sdcard, but not for the other.

Upvote 0
WAIT!!! WTF AM I DOING??? I know where it is, hang on.....

Hey Ear,

From root of phone, look in /data/share OR data/shared folders.

In one of them you should find the clockworkmod folder. Delete it, and make sure in recovery you select 'backup to external SDcard'

Sorry about the runaround, I get mega stoopid after 4PM :D

Reactions: kowatl
Upvote 0
Hey Ear,

From root of phone, look in /data/share OR data/shared folders.

In one of them you should find the clockworkmod folder. Delete it, and make sure in recovery you select 'backup to external SDcard'

Sorry about the runaround, I get mega stoopid after 4PM :D

Yes, /data/shared does have the clockworkmod folder. A sub-folder, 'backup', seems to have two backups. If I delete both of these, I can start over?

Upvote 0
Yes, /data/shared does have the clockworkmod folder. A sub-folder, 'backup', seems to have two backups. If I delete both of these, I can start over?

Yes you can redo all of it. Delete the entire clockworkmod folder to get your internal space back. Now, did those backups get placed in that folder using the 'backup to external sdcard' option in recovery? It couldn't have... You must have selected 'backup', which would have dropped the clockworkmod folder to internal data/share folder.

So, after you erase that shit off of data/share folder:

Go back into recovery, select backup and restore.

Then select 'backup to external sdcard' located further down in that menu, don't select the 'backup' option!!

Let it backup. When finished, reboot and look in the root of external sdcard and verify that you now have a clockworkmod folder, and that there was a backup made.

Again, sorry for the confusion earlier :(

Upvote 0
Yes you can redo all of it. Delete the entire clockworkmod folder to get your internal space back. Now, did those backups get placed in that folder using the 'backup to external sdcard' option in recovery? I hope that is not the case. Selecting 'backup' should have written to data/share folder....

If you were to go over all this mess of a thread [my fault], you would see that I was having trouble with the menu. i.e. I click on the "UP" button and instead of going back to the main menu [like I thought], it may have done another backup? It's hard to be sure. This is why I want to start over. When you do a "Restore", do you get a choice of backups? Or, do you have to choose a different "Restore" option? [It would be great to have the menu explained in detail somewhere?]

Why is there both a "share" and a "shared" folder in /data? Is one created by the system and the other by "Recovery"?

Upvote 0
If you were to go over all this mess of a thread [my fault], you would see that I was having trouble with the menu. i.e. I click on the "UP" button and instead of going back to the main menu [like I thought], it may have done another backup? It's hard to be sure. This is why I want to start over. When you do a "Restore", do you get a choice of backups? Or, do you have to choose a different "Restore" option? [It would be great to have the menu explained in detail somewhere?]

The only action up key does is scroll up in whatever menu you are in, I've never made an accidental backup that way or experienced an executed action with that key alone.

In restore you have the option to restore a backup from external sdcard, and you also have the advanced restore from external sdcard, in which you can restore individual partitions of your backup, like boot, system, data, sd-ext etc.

Upvote 0
The only action up key does is scroll up in whatever menu you are in, I've never made an accidental backup that way or experienced an executed action with that key alone.

In restore you have the option to restore a backup from external sdcard, and you also have the advanced restore from external sdcard, in which you can restore individual partitions of your backup, like boot, system, data, sd-ext etc.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... [Deeeeep Breath] The "Up" button I was referring to in the menu [ready for this?] is two letters "....Up" from "backup". Remember that the menu is scrolled, right or left, maybe both? So, this is how I "accidentally" did two backups to internal storage. The only backup I did intentionally was "Backup to External SD Card" and then trying to get back to the main menu... Well, U can figure it out... [Just ignore the big "+++++Go BAck+++++" menu option]

Upvote 0
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... [Deeeeep Breath] The "Up" button I was referring to in the menu [ready for this?] is two letters "....Up" from "backup". Remember that the menu is scrolled, right or left, maybe both? So, this is how I "accidentally" did two backups to internal storage. The only backup I did intentionally was "Backup to External SD Card" and then trying to get back to the main menu... Well, U can figure it out... [Just ignore the big "+++++Go BAck+++++" menu option]

:D LOL.... So now you have deleted the backups from internal, and verified that a backup exists in external storage?

Reactions: TheEmpathicEar
Upvote 0
I have an issue to report. Whenever I select Power Off from within the stock kernal, it reboots into Shabby's CWM recovery. I can't get the phone to power off fully without pulling the battery....

Is the phone plugged in or connected to your computer when trying to power down?
EDIT:
Have you tried to power it down from the recovery? I believe it's the 8th option on the main screen, advanced, then there should be an option to power off

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones