• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

out of space

Tevs

Lurker
Mar 6, 2013
so i have galaxy gio, decent enough phone but ive ran into a problem.
For quite a long time i cant install anything anymore because i have like 20mb free space, i dont even know wheres the rest since i dont even have a lot of apps.
I tried the trick which is allover google where with android tools you can set your default install location to SD card, it shows that the default location is external memory device yet i still cant install anything to it or move the apps from phone to SD.
So basically now i cant download anything unless i wipe the memory while the SD card is basically empty. Any ideas?

so i have galaxy gio, decent enough phone but ive ran into a problem.
For quite a long time i cant install anything anymore because i have like 20mb free space, i dont even know wheres the rest since i dont even have a lot of apps.
I tried the trick which is allover google where with android tools you can set your default install location to SD card, it shows that the default location is external memory device yet i still cant install anything to it or move the apps from phone to SD.
So basically now i cant download anything unless i wipe the memory while the SD card is basically empty. Any ideas?

the only way to do this is to root the phone. you can partition your sd card and install a script that sets up a2sd onto the phone. this creates a symbolic link on the phone and moves the apps to the sd card. thus freeing up space.

but your phone needs to be rooted.

if you like i can move you to the root subforum for the galaxy gio where folks who have you phone can help out better. also in the root forum there is a sticky at the top of the forum that has a link to guides on how to root your phone.

also here is the link for a2sd that i found:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1590807

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones