• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] overclock kernel V4 !

robaho

Oct 9, 2012
**** V3 was removed, it had problems.

V4 includes built-in thermal disable - don't complain if your device fries - but it shouldn't...

The CPU is overclocked to 1.8 ghz, and the GPU to 544 mhz.

I started a new thread, because this kernel deviates from the past in some significant ways, and I want to be able to track any problems separately.

This boot image disable the proprietary 'mpdecision' process - which is used to govern the clock speeds and which CPUs are online.

Instead it uses an 'in-kernel' mpdecision based on the work done here but with some significant changes. It relies on the governor to control all cpu frequencies, and only enables/disables CPUs. It also looks at the current governor to know if it should bias toward performance or power savings, so...

The 'ondemand' is slightly towards power savings, and 'interactive' sightly more towards performance. 'performance' is maximum performance. 'power save' is maximum power savings (although very slow...).

Also, setting the governor on CPU0 will automatically set it for CPU1. So, you can now do a 'tasker' to switch the governor based on battery left, etc. and have it work as expected.

Some things to note, often AnTuTu will not detect the second CPU due to aggressive power savings. If so, you will see a maximum score around 14k. This is a bug in AnTuTu - other benchmarkers will work fine. Often it will detect the second CPU and you should see scores above 18k.

The V4 loki-fied boot image is available here.

I would suggest using 1.8 ghz, with the ondemand governor for excellent balance between performance and power savings.

There is one more enhancement in the works. The proprietary mpdecision detects certains benchmarks running (like AnTuTu) and forces all CPUs on at maximum frequency, so the GPU tests run a bit faster (the CPUs can drive the GPU more).

With the built-in battery saving in this kernel, a single CPU can drive the GPU fairly efficiently so it does not often turn on the second.

The enhancement is going to detect if the GPU is busy, and then if so, force all CPUs on.

Upvote 0
I'm using no frills and I installed jus like I did with the other
2gt880j.png

Reactions: robaho
Upvote 0
I installed like your previous kernel but still get 1.512Ghz but gpu is okay... list of what i tried

*Unbrick method and flash with adb
*Insert file in ROMS
*re-download and install with adb shell (PHONE ROOTED)

I attached screenshots with result. Has my processor has been damaged with previous kernel?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-04-20-11-26[1].jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-04-20-11-26[1].jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot_2014-05-04-20-12-05[1].jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-04-20-12-05[1].jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: robaho
Upvote 0
It is possible that later devices use an updated chip. I'll have to look at the code. The 1.5/1.7 max has nothing to do with something being damaged.

This specific device was purchased on August 2013. One wierd thing i noticed is that my device says it was Made in Korea while my sister, who purchased the same exact device on March 2014 says it was Made in China. It could be possible a new processor type was inserted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones