• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclock on rooted stock?

Since no one has bricked their phone yet due to OCing, that is purely speculation. ;)

reduced life doesn't mean instabrick

overclocking ALWAYS reduces the life of the hardware but the hardware even when overclocked (within safe overclocking range... obviously OCing an optimus to 1GHz might be a bad idea) will usually outlive it's usefulness... especially with phones

Upvote 0
reduced life doesn't mean instabrick

overclocking ALWAYS reduces the life of the hardware but the hardware even when overclocked (within safe overclocking range... obviously OCing an optimus to 1GHz might be a bad idea) will usually outlive it's usefulness... especially with phones

As long as it lasts a year or two I really don't care. I just want my phone to be fast.

Upvote 0
I am running rooted stock and according to Android Assistant my processor is running at 480mhz. I used SetCPU to OC.

Technically, your not overclocked. Stock clock speed is 600mhz, You are underclocked to 480mhz. Personally I don't see the reason behind this. You are not saving any battery power. If you look at battery use vs clock speed there is no difference between 600 and 480. All you are doing is slowing your phone down for no reason.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones