• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Overheating problem

I've only had my phone for a couple of weeks, but this is the first problem I've had. Starting yesterday, the phone has become quite warm, even hot. Oddly, the heat isn't coming from the battery area, but from where the camera lenses are. It happened some time after I sent a couple of texts.
I turned it off last night and charged it and it was already warm when I disconnected this morning. GSam Battery monitor says the battery temp is 98 degrees. Yesterday, it got to over 100. Battery life is significantly shorter than it was two days ago.
Not sure if it's related or not, but I also now cannot turn on 4G, even in an area where I know I get a good signal.
Any ideas? I love this phone and don't understand why this problem just came out of the blue.

I don't have a task killer and I had been getting really good battery life. As I say, this started happening all of a sudden. Nothing unusual is running that is sucking up battery life. I haven't even actually used the phone.
Virgin is sending me a new battery and "investigating" why 4G isn't working. I tried turning on the 4G antenna but it won't go on.
I notice that the real "hot spot" on the phone is up top near the power button.
Phone has been rebooted several times and everything is the same.
Puzzling.

Upvote 0
I don't have a task killer and I had been getting really good battery life. As I say, this started happening all of a sudden. Nothing unusual is running that is sucking up battery life. I haven't even actually used the phone.
Virgin is sending me a new battery and "investigating" why 4G isn't working. I tried turning on the 4G antenna but it won't go on.
I notice that the real "hot spot" on the phone is up top near the power button.
Phone has been rebooted several times and everything is the same.
Puzzling.

That could be a problem itself, your phone looking for a 4g signal. I know that at home where the 3g signal is deplorable, my phone will overheat just sitting there (it has gotten up to 119, but mostly it'll get around 104). If I want to play any game at home, I have to go into airplane mode,and even then, I can only play for about 30 minutes before it will get to about 104 or so.
Thing is, when I go to a part of town where the signal is half-way acceptable, those problems cease to exist. That tells me, as for me, it is a signal problem, making the phone work hard to find & hold a signal.

Upvote 0
Until this happened, I got a really good 4G signal at home. Now the antenna won't even turn on.
Unlike my Triumph, this phone is completely stock. This never happened before (though I've only had the phone a couple of weeks.) I first noticed the heat problem after sending my daughter a couple of texts. I didn't find out about the 4G problem until later.
Don't have a spare battery, though VM is sending me a new one.

Upvote 0
Until this happened, I got a really good 4G signal at home. Now the antenna won't even turn on.
Unlike my Triumph, this phone is completely stock. This never happened before (though I've only had the phone a couple of weeks.) I first noticed the heat problem after sending my daughter a couple of texts. I didn't find out about the 4G problem until later.
Don't have a spare battery, though VM is sending me a new one.

dont know why every1 here is so surprised about the heat... this has been happening to me and many other users... the reason its near the camera lens is because that is the location of the processor... it will over heat when playing hardcore games or using 4g... also warm weather will cause this prob...

i was walking around central park (ny) during a heat wave and my pocket almost melted... pulled out my phone and dropped it as soon as it touched my hand... pulling the battery and waiting half an hour fixed all problems...

may i recommend underclocking or getting a case as it will keep you from feeling the heat......

Upvote 0
dont know why every1 here is so surprised about the heat... this has been happening to me and many other users... the reason its near the camera lens is because that is the location of the processor... it will over heat when playing hardcore games or using 4g... also warm weather will cause this prob...

i was walking around central park (ny) during a heat wave and my pocket almost melted... pulled out my phone and dropped it as soon as it touched my hand... pulling the battery and waiting half an hour fixed all problems...

may i recommend underclocking or getting a case as it will keep you from feeling the heat......

In some cases, yes.
But I know that I can take my phone to the middle of my house, and if I so much as try to make a call, it will get hot, and the battery will start to drain at about 10% every 5 minutes. There's no 4g in my area, only weak 3g. As I also said, I do not get these problems when I go to a part of town where there is a good signal. That lets me know that these type of problems are associated with signal strength.

Upvote 0
Well, the problem just suddenly resolved itself. When I got home Monday night, I tried turning on 4G again and it worked this time. Since then, everything has been great--no overheating, good battery life, good 4G.
The VM tech admitted that there might have been a problem with 4G in my area, but had to "look into it." My guess is that when 4G came back, my phone stopped freaking out.
I looked all over and couldn't find anything, but isn't there someplace in the settings where you can tell the phone not to even try using 4G? Not the toggle switch in the settings. I seem to remember having to check a box to tell the phone to try using 4G? Or was I drunk? ;D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones