Partial 2.1 upgrade?

Last Updated:

1. jmooser

jmooser New Member This Topic's Starter

First off, I am apologizing for my "noobness" in the case that I am just overanalyzing the update...

Woke up this morning to see I had a system update... I was so happy to see it, knowing it was probably the 2.1 update! I followed the instructions, watched as my phone downloaded and installed the update, and then... it froze? Prompting me to choose to close or wait it out...

Anyway, I do see some of the characteristics of the update. I do have some of the characteristics of the 2.1 update. The new photo/media gallery is great! And I was able to set a live wall paper. Noticed Amazon mp3 changed names, and a few other apps. The pinching works on the browser.

Now, was it just a rumor that we were supposed to have 5 home screens? Also, when running Advanced Task Manager, i saw a program running called Talkback, but I wasn't able to access it? (I figure this is the talk and it types messages program). And also, wasn't the app "drawer" supposed to be scrolling or something like that?

Again, sorry for the ignorance! Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
  2. ILoveMyDroid

ILoveMyDroid Well-Known Member

sorry to rain down on your delightful experience, really i am but the droid 2.1 update only features the updates you see and not the revised app drawer with 5 home screens. i guess alot of us will have to wait for a while to see another update for these issues

3. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

ILoveMyDroid is right on...and 3 screens is pretty lame...but if you want 5 screens, you have options.

1) Root your phone cause most of the custom roms include 5 or 7 screens by default...If this is not a viable option...check out the option below. This implementation is used in many custom ROMs anyway.

2) Try Helix and Helix2...you can find them in the market and they are free. I don't know if Helix2 will work on the new 2.1 update (it has the 3d app launcher and it is pretty smooth). Helix "looks" like it has an 3D app laucher but it does not...it has the 2d drawer.

4. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

Get helix from the market if you want more than 3 screens (up to 7).

5. slick_old

It won't.

Like you said, the ONLY way to have a stable launcher2 (3D app drawer) is to be rooted and have a certain ROM (Cyanogen, NextBeast, BB v0.9).

6. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

As of this point a lot a people are kinda depressed with the lack of features in our update. But at the same time a lot of people who do not want to root thier phone are excited for what they did get. There are thousand of apps on the market.
    And they will do exactly what you didnt get in the update. Look at Helix. I think as for right now we should just be happy they finally rolled out an official update. And it does say 2.1 update 1. So you know there will be different 2.1 builds at some point. And if your to impatient. Just get a rom there are a lot of good guides out there to help from bricking. just relax guys.
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

7. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I have been using Helix for a couple weeks now and love it. It runs smooth and supports live wallpaper and more home screens which a lot of people seem to need. I only have 3 home screens which is enough for me (I'll add a 4th during football season), but I use it for the dock at the bottom. So great to have phone, handcent, email, and voicemail all at the bottom of the screen no matter what other screen I may be on!

It crashes occasionally, but well worth it because of the dock.

8. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

I've been using GDE home replacement and use 7 screens (capable of 9), and it supports 2.1. Kinda surprised by that, but it does. It seems to force-close a lot at times, but starts right back up if it is set as default. Most of the time my widgets and shortcuts take a long time to reload after a phone call. Still force-closes with the same frequency with 2.1.

But, for those who are not rooted and want more than just the 3 desktops, and if you can't use Helix, give this a try. As aggravating as GDE can be, it is better than using 3 desktops and supports 2.1 with live wallpapers.

9. jmooser

jmooser New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys, yeah I played around a bit and found a few other things. Thanks for the tips! I'll have to look into getting the apps that allow more home screens! Overall definitely satisfied with the update though. Like in other threads, it is definitely quicker and it conserves battery!

10. tmcewan259

tmcewan259 Well-Known Member

Been using Helix for a while now. How do you get the 2nd App drawer? I have one but how do you configure to get the 2nd?

11. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Wow, hasn't this been discussed like a thousand times before? But I'm not saying anything bad about anyone. Just saying... But yeah Helix is the best launcher for the 2.1 update IMO. But anyways, sounds like you got the full update to me...

12. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

im not sure why you think it has a 2nd app drawer, because it doesnt.

13. tmcewan259

tmcewan259 Well-Known Member

2) Try Helix and Helix2...you can find them in the market and they are free. I don't know if Helix2 will work on the new 2.1 update (it has the 3d app launcher and it is pretty smooth). Helix "looks" like it has an 3D app laucher but it does not...it has the 2d drawer.

Didn't think I had seen one, but thought maybe I had missed it.

14. slick_old

Some of you guys' posts are mad confusing.

15. UBRocked

What I meant is that Helix and Helix 2 have the little "Nexus one square" at the bottom of the screen. Helix2 that square launches the 3D Drawer...Helix has the little square as well but it launches the 2d app drawer...so "it looks" like it has the 3D launcher...

16. UBRocked

Why, whatever do you mean? lol