• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PC World Smartphone Camera Battle - FIGHT!

Vihzel

Destroying Balls Everyday
Apr 8, 2010
Manhattan, NY
Smartphone Camera Battle: iPhone 4 vs. the Android Army - PCWorld

Camera:

1. Apple iPhone 4
2. Motorola Droid X
3. HTC EVO 4G
4. Samsung Galaxy S

Video:

1. Apple iPhone 4
2. Samsung Galaxy S
3. Motorola Droid X
4. HTC EVO 4G

According to the comparison test, the iPhone 4 was bar-none the best phone for camera and video with the Droid X coming in at 2nd place. #3 and #4? Who knows... at least what we do know is that Droid X is the best Android phone for those features. :)

Anymore debates? This looks like a well done comparison test.

Honestly, the X and EVO pics look better than the iPhone4 to me. I can read the "Established" year on the pralines can in the X's pic, but not the iPhone. iPhone pic looks overexposed, the others look more natural. I could read more of the text on the sharpness pic from the X than I could any of the others.

Based on the pics, I would have ranked them X first, EVO a close 2nd, then Apple/Samsung tied. Just my opinion...

Upvote 0
I think that the colors (while slightly overexposed) do look better on the iPhone, but the sharpness is definitely better on the X. But it would be easier to color correct the X pictures than try to bring out detail that just isn't there on the iPhone.

That being said, shutter lag is important. I haven't played with either phone yet, but according to the review, the lag time on the iPhone is virtually non-existant while a second or so with the X.

The two seem to excel in different ways, but I can see why they gave the nod to the iPhone. If the pictures are close (iPhone arguably better colors while X is sharper), then I think shutter lag is the tie breaker.

Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
As long as the photos are not butt ugly then the camera quality on these phones are very comparable. Anyone expecting dslr quality photos need to use some common sense. If you understand that these are still cameras on PHONES then there is not reason to be really disappointed unless they really messed something up.

To me the issues come to function. I HATE shutter lag..when your at a event like a sports thing, or a fair, or a bunch of friends at a party, the best photos are the candid in the moment shots. When the camera takes sloooow pics, they come out blurry from subject moving or you only get one shot before the moment is over. My Droid is bad with that. The quality is fine but it takes pics slow. I just hope the X can take pics faster. I tried a friends EVO and was impressed that even in max quality it took pics faster then my Droid set to lower settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones