• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PdaNet now available for Android (free USB tethering over 3G or WiFi)

Here's one for the group... any way to install PdaNet onto a PC that I don't have administrator authorization to? I have my own login etc but can't install the program (blocked). I did try PDAnet at home and it worked great, love to have the same convenience here too...

Is there a way to install PdaNet onto a flash drive or external hard drive and use it on any PC I can get onto WITHOUT needing admin authorization?

Upvote 0
hi guys! i just got my android phone, so still pretty new to it!

btw i followed justjimjpc's instructions above, and all went well until step 11. I went into PDANet under apps of my phone, but the screen I got on my phone said "PdaNet is currently turned off. Please turn it on before connecting from the computer end". The buttons I have in the same screen are "Enable USB Tether" and "Enable Bluetooth DUN". There is no button to turn PDANet on! (Or I am missing anything here?)

The verizon store recommended an app called "advanced task killer" to save on battery use on the droid. There are other app's that do the same thing. be sure PdaNet is NOT turned off in those app's.
jeff

Upvote 0
hi guys! i just got my android phone, so still pretty new to it!

btw i followed justjimjpc's instructions above, and all went well until step 11. I went into PDANet under apps of my phone, but the screen I got on my phone said "PdaNet is currently turned off. Please turn it on before connecting from the computer end". The buttons I have in the same screen are "Enable USB Tether" and "Enable Bluetooth DUN". There is no button to turn PDANet on! (Or I am missing anything here?)

The app was updated ... as i said in my post (AT that Time) the app was a BETA version.
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...e-usb-tethering-over-3g-wifi-2.html#post25771

Upvote 0
Hey I just got the hero and have been trying to tether it to my MACosx using usb and it has the icon on the MAC stating usb bus Android phone but no internet, thanks for any advice

did you set up an account? and that icon on the MAC..did you click it and tell it to connect? You also have to "enable" it on the android device as well.

Upvote 0
i downloaded pdanet and it works good. have a question tho. i told a coworker about tethering (he has an iphone). couple days later he tells me his son did some research on tethering and he found that apps that allow u to tether save ur usernames and passwords when u go to websites. is this true. i haven't done the research myself yet. but i will and not use pdanet til i know for sure they don't.

Upvote 0
PDANet is an application that is installed on your Winslow computer and to your Android/PDA device. Its purpose is to allow you to tether the computer and PDA, ultimately allowing you to surf the net or whatever using the PDA as the Internet source.

PDANet works on devices that are not rooted and on devices that are rooted. Installation is normally without any problem. It is not fast, but works ok. I have used it since the days of Palm and it was one of the first paid apps I went with when I got an Evo. The application is tied to the PDA, not the computer, so you can use it with multiple computers, just not multiple PDAs. I have never been able to get it to work with Bluetooth, only USB.

If you are rooted, try Wireless Tether. It works without cabling, setting up your PDA as a wireless router, much the same as your home router, abet a bit slower.

I have both installed on my Evo and there is no interaction between the two. Is it worth purchasing? Yes.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to install it, but my computer doesn't seem to recognize the phone. I've followed all instructions listed on junefabrics.com/android/drivers.php, and yet my computer does not recognize "Android composite ADB interface". I have installed the driver listed for my phone, but still no luck.

Help?

Upvote 0
I'm trying to install it, but my computer doesn't seem to recognize the phone. I've followed all instructions listed on junefabrics.com/android/drivers.php, and yet my computer does not recognize "Android composite ADB interface". I have installed the driver listed for my phone, but still no luck.

Help?

If you still need help with connecting PdaNET to linux, look at my post below yours. I figured out how to use PdaNET with Linux.

Upvote 0
what makes PDA net work with no additional "mobile hotspot" fees???

and just want to know if i understand this correctly that im NOT using the "verizon mobile 3G hotspot" as long as i DONT click that icon in the app drawer or when i connect via usb cable (where is says to mount as a hard drive) and i say away from the "mobile braodband connection" option

just curious.....what makes it use our normal data plan and not the tether plan

sorry if this has been posted before but all i kept reading was: how to do it and that it doesnt cost extra. i want to know why

Upvote 0
Well I just wanted to let you know that I setup my connection and it ran perfectly and as a matter of fact I am using my Sprint connection via 3G and I was only getting your numbers. I did however turned my 4G on and went to 5.19MB for donload and 1MB for upload and that is just at 3:18 in the after noon. I know the network is more crowded at this time of the day. On my phone at nights I get almost 10MB of upload and 3-4MB upload speeds. If you have 4G network, try connecting through that, I guarantee you will be happier.

LONG LIVE EVO4G baby.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones