• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Persistent Charging Connected Device Via USB" Notification

I have this charging via USB notification that has been going on since I purchased this phone (2 years ago) and I have been unable to find a fix for it it appears whenever I turn on my phone and it makes it so that I am unable to charge my phone the only time I've been able to charge it is when the phone is turned off or if I force stop Android system and then restart the phone. At one point I did manage to make the notification stop for like 2 months but now the notification is back and I don't remember how I fixed it, does anybody have any ideas?

Here's the notification

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220802-103925.png
    Screenshot_20220802-103925.png
    360.8 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0
I have this charging via USB notification that has been going on since I purchased this phone (2 years ago) and I have been unable to find a fix for it it appears whenever I turn on my phone and it makes it so that I am unable to charge my phone the only time I've been able to charge it is when the phone is turned off or if I force stop Android system and then restart the phone. At one point I did manage to make the notification stop for like 2 months but now the notification is back and I don't remember how I fixed it, does anybody have any ideas?
That is the normal behavior for Android USB charging. If you use a wall charger, the notification will not show up. When you use a computer to charge it, Android is telling you that is charging the device and if you tap the notification, it will display other options as to how to interact between your computer and phone (media transfer, file transfer, etc.)

Now, with that in mind, you computer may not have enough "juice" to charge your phone or it will take forever. Another point is that I always recommend setting up USB charging to "charging only" and then, if need to transfer files, select the proper action. This is useful in airports or other public places where USB charging is available and you don't know if your files could be downloaded from your phone by other people.

Upvote 0
Android System - Charging connected device via USB - Tap for other USB options

I have had the same on a Galaxy Note 9 ... And think I have figured out why ...
This is an Android OS Issue ... Not Hardware Related !!!
The Phone has been connected to an extrrnal device (game controller, Flash Drive, Android Auto, or similar) and part of that connection was to change the USB Connection Defaults to suit that device. Reconnect the device and see if you get different options.

1. "AndroidAuto" was what changed the settings for me ... after I re-connected to AndroidAuto, and changed the preferences about auto-start and auto-play-music etc, the error message/notification went away.
2. My Phone charged again when cable was connected and I tapped the Notification "Android System - Charging connected device via USB - Tap for other USB options" and chose "This Phone" ... You MUST connect Charging Cable first, to get option for "This Phone"
Hope that helps ...
Beauvaidos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones