• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Personalized message alerts work sometimes

stevenwmn

Lurker
May 8, 2014
I use my phone for both personal and work. I set up a contact for SMS messages I get from work with a different tone and buzz from the default but it doesn't work. It works for other contacts. I think I figured out it is because my work SMS's come via the Verizon email text service <phonenumber>@vtext.com where my other SMS's come from an actual phone number. Is there a way to change this behavior or has anyone else experienced something similar? It is a Galaxy S4 running Android V4.3. I would really like to fix this because I sometimes get a lot of texts from work in the middle of the night and I usually want to ignore them.:D

Thanks,
-steve

I use my phone for both personal and work. I set up a contact for SMS messages I get from work with a different tone and buzz from the default but it doesn't work. It works for other contacts. I think I figured out it is because my work SMS's come via the Verizon email text service <phonenumber>@vtext.com where my other SMS's come from an actual phone number. Is there a way to change this behavior or has anyone else experienced something similar? It is a Galaxy S4 running Android V4.3. I would really like to fix this because I sometimes get a lot of texts from work in the middle of the night and I usually want to ignore them.:D

Thanks,
-steve

You might want to create a contact for those (individually) in your contact list, so that the text is identified as a specific user and will notify you accordingly...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones