• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone advice for Ting

I just got my S3. Should I update to 4.3 and get stuck with kies or get a custom rom?

Have you activated the S3 with Ting yet?

To activate a phone with Ting it has to have a stock Sprint ROM installed, so make sure it's activated and working before putting a custom ROM on it. After Ting activates the phone you can root and put a custom ROM on it.

If you choose the 4.3 update, make sure to do it over WiFi instead of your data connection. Or if you have a ROM that you like you could put it on.

Upvote 0
Have you activated the S3 with Ting yet?

To activate a phone with Ting it has to have a stock Sprint ROM installed, so make sure it's activated and working before putting a custom ROM on it. After Ting activates the phone you can root and put a custom ROM on it.

If you choose the 4.3 update, make sure to do it over WiFi instead of your data connection. Or if you have a ROM that you like you could put it on.
Ok basically I'm new to all this Rom stuff and all I heard was that with the new 4.3 update there is this thing called knox which prevents you from ever putting on custom versions of andriod. If this is true aren't I better off not updating and then getting 4.4?

Upvote 0
Ok basically I'm new to all this Rom stuff and all I heard was that with the new 4.3 update there is this thing called knox which prevents you from ever putting on custom versions of andriod. If this is true aren't I better off not updating and then getting 4.4?

I would start a new thread in the S3 All Things Root forum and ask that question for the best answer:

(Sprint/Cricket) Galaxy S3 - All Things Root - Android Forums

Just make sure to activate it with Ting before making modifications.

Upvote 0
The simple answer:

Knox does not prevent rooting and custom roms

I would suggest reading up on it though, as rooting/flashing your phone would trip the Knox counter and void any warranty you may have.
Though I would suggest to anyone thinking of rooting/flashing their phone to read up on it for their specific model.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones