• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Bricked itself, please help!

dmauro

Jun 1, 2010
I have clockwork recovery installed, and was running running Ruby 1.1.1 when I started having some SD card troubles. The card was getting write protected so I couldn't delete anything off of it through a file explorer on the phone, or with either of my microSD adapters. I was rebooting the phone with no card in there today and it just hung on the white HTC Incredible boot screen.

I tried going into clockwork and wiping everything and reinstalling Cyanogenmod 6, but now it just gets stuck on the cyanogenmod load screen.

What can I do here? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Clockwork is throwing out a lot of errors about E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (file exists) and CACHE:recovery/command.

Ok, well you mentioned the SD problems, perhaps your card is corrupt? Do you have access to a card reader? If so, and if you can see the files on the card, I'd pull them off and put them on your computer's desktop. Then get a new card, format to FAT32 using the computer, drop the files onto it and retry the nand restore.

I guess if you can't access the files, worst case you still get a new card and then put a rom onto the card and install from SD card using Clockwork. You'd have to rebuild your setup but it wouldn't be the worst thing.

That's my thoughts anyway. Unless you can get the card recognized, you can't do much without a successful boot. Maybe somebody else will have another idea.

Upvote 0
No, it was an issue when I had Ruby loaded. It just started out of nowhere a few days after noticing problems with the SD card. The only thing different when I got the white screen from when it was booting properly is that I didn't have the SD card in there when I rebooted.

I've been wiping data and wiping cache before every attempt at recovery or loading a new ROM.

What do these errors that I'm getting in clockwork mean?

Clockwork is throwing out a lot of errors about E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (file exists) and CACHE:recovery/command.

I appreciate your help btw, thanks.

Upvote 0
Okay, that seems to have gotten rid of the errors in clockwork, but I still can't get Ruby or Cyanogen to boot, so I'm trying to do like it says and use a stock PB31IMG.zip, but HBOOT can't seem to recognize the file. I'm using this link:
PB31IMG.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Which is from XDA (via PN31IMG.zip)

It's definitely named properly and on the root of the good SD card I have. Why isn't HBOOT recognizing it and asking me to load it?

edit: Restore through clockwork didn't work either.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I just double checked, it's definitely FAT32. The other one is FAT32 as well, but because it's all ****ed up, if I try to add the PB31IMG.zip file, it looks like it's adding it, but if I check, the file is not actually there on the SD card because of the write protection that got stuck on it.

Upvote 0
It's definitely named properly and on the root of the good SD card I have. Why isn't HBOOT recognizing it and asking me to load it?

When you say it's named properly, does that mean you already know about the potential for accidentally naming it zip.zip? Depending on how your PC handles file extensions, you may have to name it PB31IMG and it auto-adds the .zip

Just making sure.

Upvote 0
Quick question: How are you downloading your ROMs? Via wifi, wired, phone, etc?

I would try downloading a known good, stable ROM (like SkyRaider or Adrynaline, or even the leak), make sure the sizes and MD5 matches (to eliminate it being a download error) and then move it to a different, formatted, SD card. Boot into HBoot, then put the card in. Go into recovery, clear cache and data, then under advanced, clear the kavic (or w/e it is) data, too.

Then try installing zip from SD card and see if that doesn't do the trick. :)

Upvote 0
Nope still not working, but I'm getting another partition error. This time it's E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 (file exists) when trying to wipe the Dalvik Cache and wipe data/factory reset.

I'm also seeing "No app2sd partition found. Skipping format of /sd-ext", not sure if that's important.

Upvote 0
I'm also seeing "No app2sd partition found. Skipping format of /sd-ext", not sure if that's important.

That's normal. One of the only normal things so far actually. I'm almost out of ideas honestly but I'll keep thinking and check back in later. Hopefully it's resolved by then. I just don't get how 2 cards could fail to read a freakin' image file. That's the real oddity here.

Please feel free to consider me completely off my rocker, but the only idea I have left is to try yet another card. What's the odds you have two bad cards? Not real good, but it's just not adding up.

Upvote 0
Idk, I've never attempted what they did in post #7 of the Cyanogen thread I linked earlier. Also, I don't even have that file in my dev/block folder. Here's my contents:

dm-0
loop0
loop1
loop2
loop3
loop4
loop5
loop6
loop7
mmcblk0
mmcblk0p1
mmcblk0p2
mmcblk0p3
mmcblk1
mmcblk1p1
mtdblock0
mtdblock1
mtdblock2
mtdblock3
mtdblock4
mtdblock5
mtdblock6

Note the lack of a mmcblk1p2. Not sure if that means anything b/c frankly I'm getting outside my realm of expertise once we start entering the dev folder.

Upvote 0
This time it's E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 (file exists) .

I wonder if the reason you have that file is b/c you last flashed a rom that supports Apps2SD? That might explain the difference more I think about it.

Anyway, good luck with the card. I hope there isn't something wrong with the formatting on the INTERNAL storage. If another card fails, that's the only thing I could think of for repeated failure.

Upvote 0
So did you ever figure out what whats going on with your phone? As iowabowtech said, I don't have the necessary knowledge when it comes to delving deep inside the files, but these guys do:

freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)

(if your not familiar with irc, pick a nickname, type ##incredibleroms in the channel field)

This is where most of the unrevoked team is. If anyone can help you out, they can.

Good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones