• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone calls no longer work on connected car audio system...

guivho

Jan 15, 2023
My phone pairs successfully with the Tekna audio system of my 2015 Qashqai. All of the music, radio, podcast et al apps work.
Initiating and receiving phone calls as well as WhatsApp voice calls used to work without problems since I bought the car in 2015.
A couple of months ago I received a phone call and got no sound when I pressed the answer button, I didn't hear the caller, and he/she didn't hear me either.
Since then all phone calls connect but there isn't any sound received nor transmitted.
When I break the USB connection, the call is working, but than I need to hold the phone in my hands, and that's illegal (in Belgium) and far too dangerous when driving.
Note that receiving and initiating WhatsApp voice calls continues to work.
My phone is a Nokia X20 model TA-1341 and runs Android version 13, Build nr 00WW_3_470_SP01.
I use Google's Phone app, last update apr 5, 2023, version 103.0.522355693-publicbeta
I can't think of any setting that would cause this behavior.
In fact I wonder whether it is the phone or the car that is to blame...
Any suggestions would be wholeheartedly appreciated, I am desperate as I miss all incoming phone calls: I can pick up but don't hear the caller and neither do they hear me..

My phone pairs successfully with the Tekna audio system of my 2015 Qashqai. All of the music, radio, podcast et al apps work.
Initiating and receiving phone calls as well as WhatsApp voice calls used to work without problems since I bought the car in 2015.
A couple of months ago I received a phone call and got no sound when I pressed the answer button, I didn't hear the caller, and he/she didn't hear me either.
Since then all phone calls connect but there isn't any sound received nor transmitted.
When I break the USB connection, the call is working, but than I need to hold the phone in my hands, and that's illegal (in Belgium) and far too dangerous when driving.
Note that receiving and initiating WhatsApp voice calls continues to work.
My phone is a Nokia X20 model TA-1341 and runs Android version 13, Build nr 00WW_3_470_SP01.
I use Google's Phone app, last update apr 5, 2023, version 103.0.522355693-publicbeta
I can't think of any setting that would cause this behavior.
In fact I wonder whether it is the phone or the car that is to blame...
Any suggestions would be wholeheartedly appreciated, I am desperate as I miss all incoming phone calls: I can pick up but don't hear the caller and neither do they hear me..
It's a Bluetooth connection of course, not an USB one, sorry for the confusion!

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
You might try rebooting the infotainment system? I haven't a clue if it might help but a thought.
Press and hold down the audio system power button for about 10 seconds until the Nissan logo appears, signifying that the reboot is underway.Apr 22, 2019
The infotainment system is booted each time the car is turned on. Nevertheless I tried the suggestion but it did not fix the problem

Upvote 0
was this option on your phone or radio?
It's on the phone (Translated from Dutch): Settings ->System ->Options for reset -> 3 options:
- Reset wifi, mobile and bluetooth
- Reset app preferences
- Erase all data (factory reset)

I chose the first option, paired the phone to the car and made successful test calls!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones