• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone Charging Problem

Having a problem charging my M931.

Can't figure if it's the sh*tty cheap PRC USB-to-phone data cable (which I bought several weeks ago to replace the one that came with phone).

Can't tell if it's the new replacement battery I bought only a few months ago with a manufacturing date that preceded the date on the battery that came with the new phone.

Things cycle back between the ShabbyPenguin interface and the standard boot. This thing was rooted with motochopper and I was looking for an unroot feature. Searching for an unroot anywhere in google: no joy. ShabbyPenguin interface shows no obvious command.

What's best way to deal with my charging problem if unrooting is not the answer.

Note I never bought an external microSD card for this phone.

===============

I wanted to add info about what exactly is happening. The M931 is going through an endless cycle as follows:

1. Red light flashing: this usually indicates a low battery charge state. When the charge is sufficient, the M931 goes into a boot.
2. When it boots to standard mode, the bootscreen appears, and then for just a second, I see the user interface and then it disappears to the phone being off and the red light flashing again.
3. When the power is up, then it boots into the ShabbyPenguin interface and remains on screen, not charging the phone. The display runs down the battery and turns off the phone again, again to red light flashing. Loop back to step 1. The endless cycle.

Just to followup, I managed to get the phone charge high enough to get the phone to boot into the AndroidOS. I have pretty much disabled recovery mode and the superuser function. I believe what was happening was some sort of bootloop between the recovery mode and the standard phone mode, related with Huawei's annoying setup that it forcibly tries to power up the phone after going from a zero charge to a threshold bootup charge level despite the desire for the phone NOT to be powered up during charging. Huawei should know this is a flaw and give the user the option NOT to power up at a threshold charge level.

I will probably play with this phone for appdev purposes if I ever get a brilliant idea for an app, such as a decent free receipt imaging app with the ability to OCR the text and without requiring a cloud subscription. That, or a biochemist's reference calculator.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones