• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone contacts on SD Card storage. (Waiting for new phone)

Given how the problem doesn't appear to be with whatever phone you're using nor your Google Contacts list data but rather your lack of a reliable and usable online connection (neither WiFi nor mobile data), I would focus on getting that straightened out first............................

It's not even a matter where you need a high bandwidth connection for something like contacts syncing (it's just some relatively small text data) but it's still an absolute requirement........................

The above two paragraphs appear to be somewhat in contradiction.
Firstly, I did clicked on the Contacts Sync when I had a good WiFi connection.
My (limited) understanding is that Contacts will sync, or they will not.
Your second paragraph seems to allude to that as well.

I am still as mystified as ever over the much celebrated and touted "Google Sync".
All of my experience with it to date, including this last one, have done nothing but reinforce the conclusion explained in my original thread.
Is this a matter of my lack of comprehension?
I certainly don't think so...............but......what do I know?

But..........thanks for coming back to this thread,

Jim.

Upvote 0
Well any previous postings I made were based on the postings you had made so anything before the revelation you don't have a good WiFi no mobile data connection takes priority. At this point, I'd suggest you have somebody who is tech savvy to look into the matter as setting up something like syncing contacts should NOT be such an arduous task. Diagnosing anything over an online help forum with only some necessary info is a problem when there are relevant details in question as opposed to just a quick hands-on evaluation of what is and isn't working that might be the source of the problem -- i.e. at this point it still needs to be determined if your WiFi connection is working (are other apps and services working out OK now?); when viewing your Google Contacts list is all your data showing properly (phone numbers in the phone number boxes, email addresses in the email address boxes, etc.); are other Google services syncing or is it just Contacts?

Oh as for what you're perceiving to be a contradiction, it's not a matter where you need a lot of bandwidth to sync something like Contacts listings, it's just text data. A 1Mbps connection is quite adequate. In contrast, watching high-res streaming video does require a good amount of bandwidth, typically 25Mbps or more. So you do need a stable, reliable online connection for anything as fundamental as contact syncing, but it's also conditional because different tasks require very different amounts of online access speed.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones