• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone getting stuck on 1X

StaggerLee

May 10, 2010
CA
Having trouble picking up 4G/3G once I leave, then return to service area. I don't have a signal at my house so I use a network extender. When I am at home, all I get from the network extender is a 1X signal (always use wifi, so not an issue while home). My problem is that once I leave home and re-enter a 4G/3G area, my phone stays stuck on 1X like it was as I was leaving my house. This has happened three times since Thursday, when I got the phone.

I have 4G/3G in my town and for the entire commute. I definitely have 4G where I work in downtown San Francisco and have had it on this particular phone. The only way I can get rid of the 1X signal and pick up 4G/3G is to power down and power up again, which I do not want to do every time I leave my house.

Anyone else having this issue? Any solutions?

I may just swap the phone for a new one as I also got a creaky back cover which doesn't fit right. Was hoping, for ~$350 after tax, that it would just work...

Having trouble picking up 4G/3G once I leave, then return to service area. I don't have a signal at my house so I use a network extender. When I am at home, all I get from the network extender is a 1X signal (always use wifi, so not an issue while home). My problem is that once I leave home and re-enter a 4G/3G area, my phone stays stuck on 1X like it was as I was leaving my house. This has happened three times since Thursday, when I got the phone.

I have 4G/3G in my town and for the entire commute. I definitely have 4G where I work in downtown San Francisco and have had it on this particular phone. The only way I can get rid of the 1X signal and pick up 4G/3G is to power down and power up again, which I do not want to do every time I leave my house.

Anyone else having this issue? Any solutions?

I may just swap the phone for a new one as I also got a creaky back cover which doesn't fit right. Was hoping, for ~$350 after tax, that it would just work...

I was having a similar problem yesterday while driving from Chicago to Minneapolis. Usually I get 3G the whole way but it got hung up in 1X for a while. My wives droid eris had full 3G the while I was stuck on 1X. I tried to cycle airplane mode on/off - nothing. Did a reboot then I was back on 3G.

Haven't had this issue since - Hope this doesn't happen again.

Upvote 0
I've tried that a few times, but the only thing that seems to work is powering down/up. I've even tried going to airplane mode, then turning wifi on/off, then going back to mobile network and it still stays stuck on 1X...

I called the Verizon store and the CSR told me that it happens now and again and I needed to do a battery pull. The battery pull worked, but it's happened several times in less than a week, so I'm getting a new one while I still can...

Upvote 0
I've had the same issues a couple times since my purchase. I did a restart and it fixed it. Maybe it's just a software update fix in the near future.

I did download the 4G toggle for the Thunder-Bolt (on my Rezound), and thought that is what is causing the 1x problem. The toggle seems to work best in a 4g area where the phone is deciding 3g reception is best for my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones