• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone is slow after LOLLIPOP 5.0 Update

KatevAmit

Lurker
Jan 29, 2015
Hi,
I have the Lg g3 D855 32GB,
I have the phone for about 4 months and it's already painfully slow!

I think it started with the lollipop update and since then I get "UI/home stopped" message,
Sometimes it just stuck or crashes,
typing is excruciating and everything is just disappointing for a top of the line new phone!

I do not have manny apps and I constantly kill running apps and using smart clead and DUbuster to keep my phone alive..

Did anyone encountered this kind of problem before? Can it be fixed?

Thank you all :)

I do not have any issues like that, but I'm also not running LP.

Did you do a factory data reset before or after upgrading to LP? That usually fixes issues like that, especially when going from Kit Kat to Lollipop.

This is one of the reasons I will probably stay away from LP. I've seen the same issue on my Nexus 7 device (not the UI/home stopped issue, but issues with performance).

Also, constantly killing apps is actually WORSE for your phone's performance and battery life. In Android, applications that are not in the foreground are put into a suspended state. They are NOT running or consuming resources unless they weren't written properly. But, killing apps outright leads to worse performance in the end. Task killers are not considered a good thing anymore with the improvements Google has made with the Android OS.

I would suggest doing the factory reset if rebooting doesn't fix the issue. If rebooting or doing a FDR doesn't work, it might be time to downgrade back to Kit Kat.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Also, constantly killing apps is actually WORSE for your phone's performance and battery life. In Android, applications that are not in the foreground are put into a suspended state. They are NOT running or consuming resources unless they weren't written properly. But, killing apps outright leads to worse performance in the end. Task killers are not considered a good thing anymore with the improvements Google has made with the Android OS.

^ This. Killing apps in an effort to "free up memory" does far more harm than good. Related:
- Why you don't need a task killer
- Putting to rest the myths about Task Killers/RAM Optimizers and the like

Back to your other issue, though:
- Does the phone seem to run better in the first hour or so after booting than it does after it's been running for a day or two?
- Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if one (or more) of your apps may be causing the problems?
- Failing either of those, a factory reset may be in order. The upgrade to 5.0 is one of the largest changes that Android has ever received. Lots of things changed under the hood that can impact how applications are run; in some instances, old application data may be corrupted and causing problems. A factory reset should clear that up. You'll lose any apps and data that aren't backed up (so use something like Helium first), but it should get you back to a good working state.

Good luck! :)

Upvote 0
^ This. Killing apps in an effort to "free up memory" does far more harm than good. Related:
- Why you don't need a task killer
- Putting to rest the myths about Task Killers/RAM Optimizers and the like

Back to your other issue, though:
- Does the phone seem to run better in the first hour or so after booting than it does after it's been running for a day or two?
- Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if one (or more) of your apps may be causing the problems?
- Failing either of those, a factory reset may be in order. The upgrade to 5.0 is one of the largest changes that Android has ever received. Lots of things changed under the hood that can impact how applications are run; in some instances, old application data may be corrupted and causing problems. A factory reset should clear that up. You'll lose any apps and data that aren't backed up (so use something like Helium first), but it should get you back to a good working state.

Good luck! :)

yes that ram optimizer will just f*** up your laptop or smartphone found that the hard way, do a factory reset and not do it again.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Is there a way to go back to Kit Kat without rooting?
It's very rare for that with any Android.

Surprisingly, the place to ask for folks who know would be in our All Things Root subforum - at the top or bottom of thread list, depending on your preferences.

If I knew, I'd give you a straight answer, that's the best I can do.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I went back to Kit Kat without rooting. Then was able to disable the notification for the update. I just googled and ended up using LG Flash tool and software downloaded . Then to stop the notification I went to http://androidflagship.com/10105-disable-lg-g3-ota-update-notification (not sure if it is okay to post that link) I also disabled it by going to settings-general-apps-all-google play services and uncheck notifications and since doing this I have not gotten notified of a OTA Update.
Hope this helps anyone wanting to go back to KitKat

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones