• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone Keeps Rebooting

boster

Mar 2, 2011
Rooted Moto RAZR, Android 4.1.2.

For about a month, it has been rebooting itself. Typically 3 to 5 times a day. Sometimes happens when I do something (like send an MMS message, or mark a Bible verse as read). Sometimes happens when I'm not doing anything...i.e., my phone is holstered (I can hear the splash screen audio, which is how I know it's rebooting).

It's been difficult to try to discern any pattern. But I think it might be related to data transmission. I.e., when I send or receive an MMS message (I don't think it's happened when I send or receive an SMS message). When I mark a Bible verse as read, that app communicates with a server to store my progress. When my phone is holstered, Facebook or Twitter might have had a data transmission.

I rooted my phone about 3 months ago in hopes of improving performance problems. I wanted to use Titanium to uninstall or freeze some apps so they would no longer use any CPU. After uninstalling Madden NFL and Let's Golf, and freezing Chrome and Smart Actions, I didn't do anything root. Then about a month ago the reboots began.

I saw someone's suggestion to eliminate downloaded apps. So a couple days ago I froze all but 5 apps: Run Double, Pandora, Word Search, Bible, and Titanium. Using the stock text messaging and browser apps drove me crazy, but I did it. And about 48 hours in I had no reboots.

Until I read a Bible passage and it was marked "read". I had ready many over the prior couple days without a reboot, but it didn't last forever.

So I then froze all my remaining downloaded apps (except Titanium). Then I unfroze a handful of different apps (Facebook, Crossword, Kindle, Handcent, Dolphin Browser) and then deleted Titanium. At this point, I had a completely different set of downloaded apps. And within minutes it rebooted itself.

That tells me I don't have an app which is causing this to happen. At least not an app I downloaded.

I'm considering un-rooting my phone, but I wondered if this great community has any other suggestions.

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC: I noticed the "Uptime" in the phone's status did not correlate to time since the last reboot, which I would have thought would be the case. For example, immediately after one reboot, the "Uptime" told me the phone had been up for 70 hours. What is the "Uptime" telling me?

-boster

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones