• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone not adopting SD Card as Internal storage

I have a Moto G 2014 dual SIM which has been updated to Marshmallow. I have also done a factory reset to get a clean installation
The phone will not adopt SD cards as internal storage. I have 2 brand new Class 10 micro SD 32 gb cards (
Kingston SDC10G2/32GB) + a slightly older card and I've tried resets with all of them. When the the phone recognises the card it flags it as "unsupported SDcard" and after attempting to format as internal storage it shows it as an external card. Also tried inmy wifes identical phone but result is the same.
Have trawled the net looking for a solution but no luck. Has anyone had a similar problem or can help with a solution

I have a related problem. Before I updated to 6.0 (Marshmallow), I was using a Class 4 card without any problem. After I updated, it told me I had to reformat the card for it to be usable. So I saved the contents onto a PC and put the card back in. After formatting, it said the card was too slow and that some apps may not work. So I bought a new Class 10 card. It was formatted without any problem but when I looked at my apps, very few could be transferred to the card. Most of my apps didn't even give me an option to change storage. With 5.0 all of the apps had the option to be transferred to SD. Today though, I noticed a few more apps give me the option to transfer. So I'm thinking maybe the apps themselves weren't updated to work correctly with 6.0, and that 6.0 somehow treats the SD card in a slightly different way from 5.0.
Anyway, I'm not sure what you meant by trying to format it as internal storage. I don't think you can do that. It will always be external. The only other option is "portable storage".
I now regret having upgraded to 6.0. I have not seen any advantage, except for the new Do Not Disturb setting which is ridiculously so easy to accidentally turn on or off.

Upvote 0
I have resolved my issue. I did a factory reset. Adopted SD card as internal storage during set up process (also set up as a new device) ignoring message about SD card not supported; I think this may be because it has not been formatted as internal memory at that point). Then start reinstalling apps from Google play. In settings it appears the SD card is separate but look at phone in File Manager and you'll see all the apps are part of one internal drive. I also am using a Class 10 card and it makes a difference. No problems with running out of space for apps so very happy at the moment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones