• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help phone problem related to extended battery?

chrisjm00

Feb 9, 2010
Baltimore, MD
So I'm on my second extended battery, and it does the same thing my other one did. When i put it on the charger it will charge fine, but once its fully charged up, about 15-20 minutes later, the battery icon in the taskbar goes from a charged battery to a battery outline with a question mark. It never changes during charging, only after the battery is fully charged. I'm on the stock rom, but rooted. Could it be an app messing the reading up, or a bad phone?

Since you're rooted, you could install Recovery on your phone, tap the top button to initialize it (only needed the first time), then tap the second button to reboot into recovery. From there, use the volume up/down buttons to navigate and the camera button to select an option. The back button does just that.

I'd start with deleting your cache partition, then go to advanced and delete your battery stats, then back until you get the option to reboot phone. It's best to do this with a fully charged battery but at this point I don't see any other option, except to throw it in VZW's hands.

The cache partition is temp files used to speed up your phone. Deleting both of these is safe. You won't notice any problem.

Don't do the factory reset since it restores your phone back to the way it was when you brought it home. It might fix the problem but you lose all the settings on your phone. Paid apps will eventually come back, but you should have a backup plan (Titanium Backup, etc) in place before attempting it.

Upvote 0
I frequently update to a rom or restore a nandroid backup (using recovery). If my phone is fully charged (still plugged in) and I'm in recovery, I'll delete the battery stats. O/w I can get battery FC's from the backup expecting something different from the battery controller. Clearing battery stats seems to fix that.

How long before you know if the problem is fixed?

Since you have recovery, you might as well install Rom Manager and use it to create/manage your backups.

Upvote 0
Have you tried the original battery? Does that have the same problem?

You could use Rom Manger to create a backup (aka a nandroid) of your current setup, then do a factory reset and see if that fixes it. Worst case you could restore your backup again if that didn't help. If you got a new phone, you'd have the equivalent of the factory reset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones