• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone rooted, but no apps appear in Superuser app list

lovemuffin

Apr 24, 2011
Hi, I am new to rooting, but I did successfully root my phone using Bin4ry's method. However, Superuser shows no apps in the list.

After I rooted the phone, Superuser showed up in my app manager but when I opened it, it didn't list any apps. I tried to update or change the binary of that Superuser app and it didn't work and just uninstalled it. So I installed a different version of Superuser from Google Play and this version doesn't list any apps either.

I downloaded Root Checker Basic from Google Play and when I check it says, "Congratulations! This device has root access." What am I doing wrong? When I open apps on my phone, I don't get any prompts from Superuser.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get root access to get rid of Virgin Mobile's annoying crapware? Thanks!

Hi, I am new to rooting, but I did successfully root my phone using Bin4ry's method. However, Superuser shows no apps in the list.

After I rooted the phone, Superuser showed up in my app manager but when I opened it, it didn't list any apps. I tried to update or change the binary of that Superuser app and it didn't work and just uninstalled it. So I installed a different version of Superuser from Google Play and this version doesn't list any apps either.

I downloaded Root Checker Basic from Google Play and when I check it says, "Congratulations! This device has root access." What am I doing wrong? When I open apps on my phone, I don't get any prompts from Superuser.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get root access to get rid of Virgin Mobile's annoying crapware? Thanks!

In order for root to work properly, our phone needs an older version of the su binary. Use the files from this link [GUIDE] Root your Kyocera Rise! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com. It includes the older su and an older superuser apk, but you can update superuser from the play store. The prompts will work then.

Edit: so long as you haven't updated supersu, you should be able to just redo the root process, but you might want to remove supersu first.

Upvote 0
I never replied to this, but just for the sake of posterity, I want to mention that even though Superuser did not work, I was able to use Titanium Backup to freeze or uninstall the apps I didn't want because I did achieve root access, so it actually was OK. I just had to get a new Kyocera Rise, so I will try using the older SU binary and hope I can get full functionality this time. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I know this is an older thread but it may help you or someone else. When you root the phone you need to make sure you install busybox. After words verify your if you have root set-up correctly with root check basic by jrummy on Google play. If everything looks OK download terminal emulator from Google play. Once installed type "su". You should go from $su to #su on the next line. This means you have root access. If any additional info appears like "permission denied" or a long set of errors then the root is not set up properly. The solution is your system is not mounted as writable. There are a number of ways to mount the system as writable. The spimplest way is to download "es file explorer v1.5 (cupcake edition). This is an older version is es file explorer. Once installed go to setting scroll down to root section put a check in root devices and check mount system as writable. Reboot and problem fixed. Now this all depends if you followed the original root instructions properly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones