• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Photos have disappeared

Hi all

I took a number of photos yesterday on a family day out. My wife looked at them while we were driving home, and I also looked at them later yesterday evening. However, when I returned to the Gallery to upload them to Dropbox/Google Photos etc they were gone. (I know I can set dropbox and google photos to auto upload, but it keeps turning itself off, so prefer to do it manually). I should say at this point that my default save location for the camera is my SD Card (which I've had no problems with whatsoever, and as I can still see/access other photos dont believe there to be an issue with it now)

OK, so back to the issue. How or can I get these photos back ? This is what I've tried so far;

1. Removed battery and restarted - didnt work
2. removed SD Card/reinserted - didn't work
3. Checked through the SD Card using ES FileExplorer - no sign of the photos
4. Setting/Application Manager/ Gallery - Clear Data and Cleared Cache - didn't work
5. Connected to PC and explored both the phone and card using windows file manager - didn't work
6. tried various 'recovery' apps - no sign

It's almost as if the photos were never taken. they HAVENT been deleted, but if they had been I think I'd have more luck in getting them back

Phone details;
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
on Orange network
NOT Rooted (please don't ask me to)

I've had no problem with this phone or the camera etc since I've had it, so I'm really gobsmacked at this. The photos were taken, so surely they must be somewhere, but from what I can tell, the recovery software etc, will only recover files which have been inadvertently deleted. These haven't been

If anyone has any idea on how I can get these pictures back, PLEASE let me know

Hi

I dont have any good answer as you seem to have tried most things. Have you done this:

Open ES file explorer
menu button
settings
display settings
show hidden files (doubt they would become hidden on their own, but who knows?)
then go back to main screen of ES

go to sdcard0 folder
search button at bottom
enter .jpg in search field
view button at bottom
select Modified descending to put results in date order.

Then do this again with extSdCard0

I realise you may have done this, but if not it may find them.

Must say I have never had an issue quite like this. I once used quickpic to create a subfolder of a folder on my extsdcard and it created it in sdcard0/pictures which took a while to find, but I guess thats not it..

Good luck anyway

Roger

Upvote 0
Hi

I dont have any good answer as you seem to have tried most things. Have you done this:

Open ES file explorer
menu button
settings
display settings
show hidden files (doubt they would become hidden on their own, but who knows?)
then go back to main screen of ES

go to sdcard0 folder
search button at bottom
enter .jpg in search field
view button at bottom
select Modified descending to put results in date order.

Then do this again with extSdCard0

I realise you may have done this, but if not it may find them.

Must say I have never had an issue quite like this. I once used quickpic to create a subfolder of a folder on my extsdcard and it created it in sdcard0/pictures which took a while to find, but I guess thats not it..

Good luck anyway

Roger

Thanks for the suggestions...

I've tried searching on both SD Card and phone, and no sign of the pictures.
As I said earlier, it's almost as if the pictures were never taken, although two seperate people (myself and my wife), looked at the pictures on two seperate occassions.
I just can't believe they've completely disappeared without trace - surely they must be somewhere.
however, on the plus side, if Samsung can recreate this amazing 'feature' I'm sure they'd get a fair bit of take up. Things disappearing with literally no trace ?!?!!?

Upvote 0
If you search on the internet, you should be able to find several free utilities that may help you to recover data and may have been removed or deleted by accident.
As long as you don't do much to cause the possible existing data from being corrupted, you should be able to get them back.

Thanks Tom, but as I mentioned earlier, the photo's have completely disappeared without trace.
They havent been deleted, it's literally a case of there one minute gone the next.
All searching has proved fruitless, and recovery programs only pull back files which have been deleted - which these havent been, it's really confunsing and frustrating that they were there one minute and gone the next (with no interaction)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones