• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Playstation Suite Announced

NZtechfreak

Android Expert
Apr 23, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
Bit of exciting news for Android owners

What do you guys think?

This is a service that has a real chance at being a winner for Sony, but also for Android by dramatically increasing the amount of quality games available.

I'm really glad this is going to be manufacturer-agnostic, since I wouldn't have purchased the Playstation phone, but will love having this available in my Android handsets...

i was really excited before but after reading that they will only be bringing ps1 games over, its something we already have. if they were selling ps minis or psp games on android though, holy moley i would jizz all over the place

I'm sure they'll eventually get PSP stuff over too and the market downloadable games. No offense to Zod, but psx4droid is still pretty shakey. A whole team from Sony dedicated to an emulator for Android vs one person doing it on their off-time is going to produce much better results.

Definately cool to see though. It'll be interesting how much they'll be charging for each item. Hopefully Microsoft sees this and copies them too...or at least Activision, can't wait for Geometry Wars on Android.

Upvote 0
They said "limited number of phones". I am thinking that is code for "your handset won't get this". My guess: some newer high-end phones will support this natively (bundled/preinstalled), but we won;t be seeing it "officially" on the market.
well eh, seeing as Engadget interview: SCEA's Jack Tretton talks Sony NGP, announces (and then un-announces) PlayStation Suite for PS3 -- Engadget says that he aims for a holiday release, im sure the illest android phones will come out around that time. i know for sure that i would upgrade my phone sometime before the holidays and it would be something cutting edge.

i also just got a whole lot more excited about this playstation suite thing since i just realized that its a whole sdk for making android games that are licensed and qa'd by playstation to work on many android phones. it's playstation's way of competing with wp7's xbl and iphone's game center. gonna get like psn trophy support most likely, it will be awesome

Upvote 0
well eh, seeing as Engadget interview: SCEA's Jack Tretton talks Sony NGP, announces (and then un-announces) PlayStation Suite for PS3 -- Engadget says that he aims for a holiday release, im sure the illest android phones will come out around that time. i know for sure that i would upgrade my phone sometime before the holidays and it would be something cutting edge.

i also just got a whole lot more excited about this playstation suite thing since i just realized that its a whole sdk for making android games that are licensed and qa'd by playstation to work on many android phones. it's playstation's way of competing with wp7's xbl and iphone's game center. gonna get like psn trophy support most likely, it will be awesome

I suppose we have to just wait and see. I am certainly not getting my hopes up. I would expect this to be limited to phones that are coming out with the nvidia chipset. Just a hunch. All we can all do is guess at this point. As far as the SDK, I will believe it (is good) when I see it. Sony has always been notoriously a PITA to develope for. I don't see most popular mobile phone game devs adopting it, unless it is significantly better than their track record implies it might be.

Upvote 0
I was excited until i saw u need gingerbread to run it. Considering how long it took for froyo to show up on the galaxy s i dont see gingerbread coming anytime soon..

altough as for the playstation suite itself its great news for android. they said only ps1 games will be available at launch. But in the future theyll be developing and launching new titles specific for it. so i can see this grow into something amazing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones