• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please help

Dec 23, 2018
Can someone please help me? I use Google one to backup my data, including apps. It's always backed up all of them. But recently, the past 2 or 3 backups have only backed up about a third of them. Anyone have any advice? Its so frustrating. I've tried going into my apps and making sure they're all enabled, but that doesn't help. Help!!

Last edited:
I'd stop worrying about how often you restart your phone, nor doing a Factory Reset, and especially not flashing your phone with a new ROM (that's how one installs a new, clean Android operating system). Redirect your focus back to this backup issue.

Just for clarity, how are you determining that some apps are or are not being backed up? Using the Google One app? Accessing the backup files themselves within your online Google account?

Which backup Plan do you have? (i.e. 100GB? 2TB?) Are you sure there's enough free storage space and you're not maxed out?

Keep in mind there's a difference between a full backup and an incremental backup. With the former all data gets backed up, with the latter only data that's new and changed gets backed up. With a full backup that wastes a lot of time, processing, and system resources because all data gets transferred over from the source to the destination, and in the destination each full backup takes up more storage space. With an incremental backup (how most professional-grade, higher end backup services work), on the source only new and updated/altered/edited data gets transferred over to an already existing backup directory, merging old data with the new data. The issue being most data in the source (in this matter your phone) is not any different from when the last backup occurred and a current backup takes place. If you have a large collection of music files stored within your phone that you listen to frequently, this means those actual audio files are actually changed, your only listening to them. Backing up your entire music library every backup is a waste. If you add a lot of audio files, then it's more efficient to backup just those new files, not the entire library.

Upvote 0
I've recently upgraded twice (once to a Galaxy A14 5G because they killed my old device, today a Z Flip 4 that feels like an actual upgrade) and if the OP's experience is anything like the mess that I have with Smart Switch (totally broken, still doesn't transfer half my stuff!) then it doesn't surprise me one bit.

One of my long-time complaints against Android involves this very thing. Unlike Apple where EVERYTHING INCLUDING GAME SAVES transfers by merely logging into your Apple ID, you do NOT get nearly the same benefit on the Android side, and this remains true today just as it did in 2009. You might luck out and all your apps reinstall, but mostly you just get your wallpaper and saved wifis and nothing else. I was pleasantly surprised that my playlists actually synced up this time around though. Last time (when getting the A14) the music player not only never transferred, but the Samsung Music app didn't even show up on the Galaxy or Play Stores. I had to sideload the APK for some reason.

Bottom line, Android still suffers two major setbacks in my view. 1) if resetting/switching devices you have to re-login each app you've ever used and start all your games from level one, and 2) the status bar is STILL a cluttered mess of icons and chaos.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I'd stop worrying about how often you restart your phone, nor doing a Factory Reset, and especially not flashing your phone with a new ROM (that's how one installs a new, clean Android operating system). Redirect your focus back to this backup issue.

Just for clarity, how are you determining that some apps are or are not being backed up? Using the Google One app? Accessing the backup files themselves within your online Google account?

Which backup Plan do you have? (i.e. 100GB? 2TB?) Are you sure there's enough free storage space and you're not maxed out?

Keep in mind there's a difference between a full backup and an incremental backup. With the former all data gets backed up, with the latter only data that's new and changed gets backed up. With a full backup that wastes a lot of time, processing, and system resources because all data gets transferred over from the source to the destination, and in the destination each full backup takes up more storage space. With an incremental backup (how most professional-grade, higher end backup services work), on the source only new and updated/altered/edited data gets transferred over to an already existing backup directory, merging old data with the new data. The issue being most data in the source (in this matter your phone) is not any different from when the last backup occurred and a current backup takes place. If you have a large collection of music files stored within your phone that you listen to frequently, this means those actual audio files are actually changed, your only listening to them. Backing up your entire music library every backup is a waste. If you add a lot of audio files, then it's more efficient to backup just those new files, not the entire library.
I don't worry about starting and restarting my phone. I was just answering a question someone asked. That has nothing to do with backups.

I know that Google one is only backing up less than half of my apps, because it tells you exactly how many apps are backing up, and it's never all of them. I've gone into apps in settings, and made sure they were all enabled, but it didn't make a difference. It only backed up not even half of my apps.

Upvote 0
I've recently upgraded twice (once to a Galaxy A14 5G because they killed my old device, today a Z Flip 4 that feels like an actual upgrade) and if the OP's experience is anything like the mess that I have with Smart Switch (totally broken, still doesn't transfer half my stuff!) then it doesn't surprise me one bit.

One of my long-time complaints against Android involves this very thing. Unlike Apple where EVERYTHING INCLUDING GAME SAVES transfers by merely logging into your Apple ID, you do NOT get nearly the same benefit on the Android side, and this remains true today just as it did in 2009. You might luck out and all your apps reinstall, but mostly you just get your wallpaper and saved wifis and nothing else. I was pleasantly surprised that my playlists actually synced up this time around though. Last time (when getting the A14) the music player not only never transferred, but the Samsung Music app didn't even show up on the Galaxy or Play Stores. I had to sideload the APK for some reason.

Bottom line, Android still suffers two major setbacks in my view. 1) if resetting/switching devices you have to re-login each app you've ever used and start all your games from level one, and 2) the status bar is STILL a cluttered mess of icons and chaos.
I've always had an android, and Google cloud has always backed up all of my data, including apps, but not now. So I downloaded Google one and figured I'd manually do it. Can't even do that.

Upvote 0
I don't worry about starting and restarting my phone. I was just answering a question someone asked. That has nothing to do with backups.

I know that Google one is only backing up less than half of my apps, because it tells you exactly how many apps are backing up, and it's never all of them. I've gone into apps in settings, and made sure they were all enabled, but it didn't make a difference. It only backed up not even half of my apps.
And I have the 2t plan, with plenty of room

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I don't back up anything.. example: I don't back up contacts because Google contacts backs up my contact in the cloud, Same with Documents, Gmail, Drive Photos, Home...etc... I have a couple of games that I have played in the past and my stats are backed up on the Game server if I choose to play it again.

Upvote 0
I would be able to figure it out yes
The reason I asked what's not being backed up is because I know people have posted about certain apps not backing up, only to find out there's a special procedure to restore that app. Also, if you were using XXXX for phone contacts and you switched to Google contact, there would be no need to back it up since it has already been backed up in the cloud by Google

If you can figure out what is not being backed up, please post it and maybe we can figure out what's going on. Thanks!

Upvote 0
The reason I asked what's not being backed up is because I know people have posted about certain apps not backing up, only to find out there's a special procedure to restore that app. Also, if you were using XXXX for phone contacts and you switched to Google contact, there would be no need to back it up since it has already been backed up in the cloud by Google

If you can figure out what is not being backed up, please post it and maybe we can figure out what's going on. Thanks!
Thanks but it would take a lot of time to figure out and list all of the apps that don't backup. I have 239 apps! But let me ask you...is there any certain things I should look for in the apps that don't backup?

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
There is still no definitive proof that your Google One backups aren't working properly. I won't repeat the explanation about backups I wrote previously but in simpler terms, it sounds like Google One is doing what it's supposed to do.

I'll suggest it would be less frustrating to just stop fixating on things that you don't want to educate yourself on how they function. Your assumption that a backup utility should waste time and resources copying data that's already in a previous backup isn't practical. In your case, it's not a reality that all 239 of your apps are being updated and/or altered in between each backup session. So if there's no change with an app that is already in a previous backup, why waste time backing it up again for no reason? Apps that do get updated involve changes in their code base so those should be backed up.

Upvote 0
Thanks but it would take a lot of time to figure out and list all of the apps that don't backup. I have 239 apps! But let me ask you...is there any certain things I should look for in the apps that don't backup?

I would google any app that didn't backup with something like, "How do I backup xxx app?" and see if there are any special instructions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones