• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Poor HDMI Review for Evo

sikclown, i think this is the first time I went back and forth with somebody on a forum, and we ended up totally agreeing. I have to give you a thanks just for the experience. lol

What is also bad about these reviews are that they cost or earn the company money through stocks and product sells, so they should at least due their due diligence.

Reactions: sikclown
Upvote 0
sikclown, i think this is the first time I went back and forth with somebody on a forum, and we ended up totally agreeing. I have to give you a thanks just for the experience. lol

What is also bad about these reviews are that they cost or earn the company money through stocks and product sells, so they should at least due their due diligence.

I completely agree too. Thanks right back atcha. And we didn't even have to get ugly with each other hahaha. Good looking out.

Upvote 0
You folks are funny- If PC Mag gave it a raving review with no critical points, you would love them. Fact is Sprint true 720p is not practical from such a small form factor and would run hot. Not to mention true 720p content takes up a way too much space and is a battery hog.

PC Mag is not the only review that stressed concern about call quality, but most liked it so far.

Best critic is yourself, so test it and see for yourselves :) Question is, will you be blind fanboys like a lot of Incredible owners are ;) It is a good device too, but has faults, just like the EVO will likely have.

Upvote 0
You folks are funny- If PC Mag gave it a raving review with no critical points, you would love them. Fact is Sprint true 720p is not practical from such a small form factor and would run hot. Not to mention true 720p content takes up a way too much space and is a battery hog.

PC Mag is not the only review that stressed concern about call quality, but most liked it so far.

Best critic is yourself, so test it and see for yourselves :) Question is, will you be blind fanboys like a lot of Incredible owners are ;) It is a good device too, but has faults, just like the EVO will likely have.

No I appreciate all the reviews and want tech geeks to be critical of a product ( I mean tech geek as a compliment) and yes I pointed out that others liked the call quality. I simply pointed out the obvious on the video sources they used.

Upvote 0
I would think they were not using the correct cable. Which brings me to the next point. All the threads/posts about which cable to get or use are scattered all over the forum. I think its time we started an official thread to place all the info on the hdmi cable, where to get it etc.

What about in here. i can also change the title to reflect the purpose of the thread.

Discuss.

TS

Upvote 0
I would think they were not using the correct cable. Which brings me to the next point. All the threads/posts about which cable to get or use are scattered all over the forum. I think its time we started an official thread to place all the info on the hdmi cable, where to get it etc.

What about in here. i can also change the title to reflect the purpose of the thread.

Discuss.

TS

But wouldn't the cable either work/not work? Not sort of work?

Upvote 0
Thougt you might want to see this. PC Mag has a review of the HDMI out on the Evo...doesn't look promising. :(

Hands On: HTC EVO 4G's HDMI Cable | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

They are a bunch of freakin morons, no sh** the quality is going to bad when you are trying to view 480p on and 720p/1080p HDTV. Its like connecting a 8 year old 480p dvd player and hooking it up to a 60inch LED HDTV and expecting Blu-ray quality. What a joke PCMAG, go review some motherboards and stay off of consumer electronics. UGGHHH!!!!!BIG FAIL!!!!

Upvote 0
No I appreciate all the reviews and want tech geeks to be critical of a product ( I mean tech geek as a compliment) and yes I pointed out that others liked the call quality. I simply pointed out the obvious on the video sources they used.

That is cool, but people expecting true 720p video out from this device will be disappointed. I do not think you can get a wrong cable, since HDMI out is HDMI out- it is a standard, unless EVO uses a proprietary cable.

Great news about HDMI out is though the output will not be true 720p from EVO, the connector is common and best possible signal for audio and video.

ARR22, DVD res should work fine, but 720p out with smooth frames just aint happenin'. I think their point is that is what worked for them.

Upvote 0
That is cool, but people expecting true 720p video out from this device will be disappointed. I do not think you can get a wrong cable, since HDMI out is HDMI out- it is a standard, unless EVO uses a proprietary cable.

Great news about HDMI out is though the output will not be true 720p, the connector is common and best possible signal for audio and video.

ARR22, DVD res should work fine, but 720p out with smooth frames just aint happenin'.

huh? what do you mean?

it will be 720p WHEN YOU USE 720p VIDEO, duh! sorry just frustrated with all the misinformation pcmag is spreading...

Upvote 0

Great news about HDMI out is though the output will not be true 720p from EVO, the connector is common and best possible signal for audio and video.

ARR22, DVD res should work fine, but 720p out with smooth frames just aint happenin'. I think their point is that is what worked for them.

YouTube - HTC EVO 4G (Supersonic) HDMI demo

Upvote 0

I disagree.. Sideloaded 720p video will be exactly that and output exactly as that. Where we will not see true 720p is in the camcorder function as has been pointed out by numerous reviews.... The video suffers from artifacting and extreme compression. So video created with the Evo not true 720p. External 720p will be 720p. That is the theory.. As you have said before I will use my own eyes and review the device myself when it comes in but that Prince of Persia footage on an 85 inch tv looks pretty damn good even over camcorder.

Upvote 0
All I know is that true 720p video and bit rates run hot and not practical for this form factor. Not long to find out- just test a 720p movie with the required MP4 codecs :)

As far as HDMI, it can be any res up to 1080p, so HDMI does not auto equal 720p or higher. It can be 320X240 and still play through HDMI. Me thinks there will be some encoding "efficiencies" to get 720p out.

Upvote 0
Practicality is a different animal but agreed. We can all meet back here after individual testing

My buddy is a sprint rep and I went over to his house. He showed me some videos that he recorded with the built in 720p camera and it looked pretty good, not great but good for a cell phone camera. But when he actualy showed me a movie he added to the micro sd card, my jaw dropped to the floor. It aint no joke. You guys will see for yourself once you get this beautiful beast in your hands.

Upvote 0

No whats funny is that PCMag tried to push 480p and below through an HDTV and blaming the EVO for bad quality.

This isn't about raving reviews, bias, or opinions. If the sky is blue, its blue, no one is gonna say that its green. 480p pushed through the EVO to a 1080p is going to look terrible. This is not the EVO's fault like the idiots at PCMag suggests.

Also this theory of yours about the EVO not outputting true 720p is speculation from you with no sources to back it up, which makes it total BS at best.

Upvote 0
All I know is that true 720p video and bit rates run hot and not practical for this form factor. Not long to find out- just test a 720p movie with the required MP4 codecs :)

As far as HDMI, it can be any res up to 1080p, so HDMI does not auto equal 720p or higher. It can be 320X240 and still play through HDMI. Me thinks there will be some encoding "efficiencies" to get 720p out.
Uh... I'm going to put you to task for providing some evidence for your claim, because "[blah blah] runs hot" is meaningless to me. Sure, general purpose processors may struggle with 720p, and this will generate tons of heat, as my Atom based netbook will surely show. However, manufacturers have come out with multiple task-specific hardware accelerated decoding solutions, and it's perfectly conceivable to me that a hardware optimized solution can run efficiently with a very low TDP.

And yes, the fact that multiple resolutions can be output via HDMI is also irrelevant, because the cited PCWorld article appears to imply that the second (Samsung) TV actually registered a 720p signal (something must be wrong with the digital handshake for the viewsonic).

"Encoding efficiencies" are also irrelevant... A file is encoded once and that's it. If we are talking about the playback of user-created content like in the PCWorld test (e.g., a 720p trailer of Prince of Persia or Batman: The Dark Knight), encoding doesn't even have anything to do with your argument. (if we are talking about 720p video recording on the phone--and we are not--that is different and it's already been proven that the video is recorded at a very low bitrate... like 8 mbps, now that is encoding efficiency)

Upvote 0
I disagree.. Sideloaded 720p video will be exactly that and output exactly as that. Where we will not see true 720p is in the camcorder function as has been pointed out by numerous reviews.... The video suffers from artifacting and extreme compression. So video created with the Evo not true 720p. External 720p will be 720p. That is the theory.. As you have said before I will use my own eyes and review the device myself when it comes in but that Prince of Persia footage on an 85 inch tv looks pretty damn good even over camcorder.
Well the term "not true 720p" is meaningless.

It's very simple to ascertain "true" 720p. There must be 720 lines of vertical resolution. I'm pretty sure when you look at the video, there will be in fact 720 lines of resolution.

The problem in quality lies in the bitrate of the video. Just like how MP3s sound like shit when encoded at 24 kbps and sound awesome when encoded at 320 kbps, video is affected in a similar way. From the Gizmodo preview: HTC Evo 4G: Some Notes on a Juggernaut

We know the encoding is 5 Mbps which pretty darn low in relation to other HD video recording, and that's likely the explanatory factor for why the 720p on the Evo is disappointing if you were to compare it to like a Flip or Mino HD.

Upvote 0
My buddy is a sprint rep and I went over to his house. He showed me some videos that he recorded with the built in 720p camera and it looked pretty good, not great but good for a cell phone camera. But when he actualy showed me a movie he added to the micro sd card, my jaw dropped to the floor. It aint no joke. You guys will see for yourself once you get this beautiful beast in your hands.

Ya that movie took up all the storage on the SD card :D . Pointless.

Upvote 0
he has a 32GB card? LOL

True HD movies aren't 5 gig , well my point it using the EVO to playback HD content isnt practical or possible! you are telling me the EVO can play .mkv files? ROFL - thats just how it is =]

I never said it was a full movie. Well since you seem to be the videophile expert. What can you tell me about the mpeg-2 format? And you can get 32gb cards online for just over 100$

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones