• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible to go to inbox from email notification?

eyc

May 2, 2010
Chicago, IL
When clicking on an email notification in the pull down, is it possible to be directed to the inbox, rather than to the specific email itself?

If there are 2 or more new emails in the notification, clicking on the notification will take me to the inbox. But, not if there is only 1 email in the notification.

Any thoughts?

That's logical and that's how it is designed. Not sure why you'd want to go to your inbox if you got a single notification for a single new email.... logically speaking, if that notification triggered a desire to look at your email, it stands to reason that the email you would want to look at was the new one. I'd be annoyed if I got one email and the notification made me go to the inbox and then choose that one new email to read.

Upvote 0
That's logical and that's how it is designed. Not sure why you'd want to go to your inbox if you got a single notification for a single new email.... logically speaking, if that notification triggered a desire to look at your email, it stands to reason that the email you would want to look at was the new one. I'd be annoyed if I got one email and the notification made me go to the inbox and then choose that one new email to read.

Right. I agree that taking you to the specific email is the logical function, but I just want an option for the illogical. I like seeing the forest for the trees sometimes, so to speak, to see what other emails I have floating around in my inbox so that I can manage the inbox. And often, I will simply delete or ignore an email based simply on the sender and/or subject.

Upvote 0
Interesting thought. I have no idea how to change that but would probably set it like that if it was possible.

I would also delete an email based on the sender. Many spammers have programs that know you opened the email. If you open it, they know your email is active and will keep sending stuff.

Nail on the head. I often see either spam or ignorable emails that I want to delete without having to look at the email itself. If a spammer succeeds in me opening the email, he's already gained something from me, some basic marketing exposure.

Upvote 0
I'd appreciate the possibility that swiping a notification away deleted the email. Sometimes fir text messages I read them in the notification bar, so swiping them I'd like to see mark them as read (so that I can read the next message subject without just seeing '2 new messages'). In fact, if the email notification showed the sender of the latest message when there are more than 1 that'd be good... There is clearly scope for more options here - everyone uses in different ways, but that's why we choose Android...for control & customisation of our phones, right...?

Upvote 0
My number one thing would be to just be able to delete an email from the notification pull down.

If I was intent on wanting to navigate directly to my inbox, I would just hit the Gmail app shortcut as soon as I saw the notification, instead of pulling it down. (Or if I had pulled it down, just push it up and hit the Gmail app.

Upvote 0
I just got upgraded to 4.1.1 and now every notification I get takes me to the message. All I'd want is to see my inbox and if I want to read the email from that address first. Happy to have another tap in place before I read it.
And there is no option to stop it.....
Why would you take something away before giving the ability to switch it back on again?

JJ

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones