• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Post Root functionality question(s)

ts_hunter

Lurker
Mar 20, 2011
I have a NC running 1.1.0 and am considering rooting it. I am wondering if after the nook, will it still come up the same way and be a NC? Will I then be able to go to the 'apps' area and download all kinds of Android apps?

I am an IT guy, so I am not afraid of the root process, I just want a better idea of what I am going to do to the NC. Also, if you root the NC, and don't like it, can you go back to stock?

I have a NC running 1.1.0 and am considering rooting it. I am wondering if after the nook, will it still come up the same way and be a NC? Will I then be able to go to the 'apps' area and download all kinds of Android apps?

I am an IT guy, so I am not afraid of the root process, I just want a better idea of what I am going to do to the NC. Also, if you root the NC, and don't like it, can you go back to stock?
Rooting just allows access to base OS files that are normally locked. Think running in Admin mode rather than in user mode. The desktop doesn't really change.

Technically, the Autonooter method also does a few other things like adding a bunch of other apps (Market and Gmail for instance).

After rooting, your Nook Color will look and feel the exact same as it did before. You now just have more applications in your app drawer, can access more settings, and of course have full Market access (don't forget to hold it landscape when browsing the market, LOL). Download any file you want from the Market, just as you would your phone. If you use the same Gmail account as your phone, you also can re-download all your paid apps (no extra charge).

You can even keep the stock launcher if you chose, or download one from the market like LaucherPro, ADW, Zeam, or GoLauncher. I recommend downloading a new launcher to improve your tablet experience. Use another app like Home switcher to switch between them.

With the 1.1.0 build, rooting even still allows you to read books at B&N for free.

In other words, you can keep it the same or make it as different looking as you want, but it's base functionality will still be Nook Color. Doing something like adding a ROM will completely erase the NC functionality, if you ever go down that route.

And yes, very easy to turn it back to stock, which you're pretty much garanteed not to ever do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones