• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help post-sprint update sleeping problems

BACKGROUND DATA in the Data Syncronation menu setting. Also, if you are using the Sprint upgrade, turn off WIFI when not using.

I think Zephie added something to his last kernel update that turns WiFi off when sleeping. So, I can leave it on all the time and it is only on when the phone is awake. That was not the case before his fix.

Now, the only time I catch the phone running when it supposed to be sleeping is when Background Data is checked from me being on the Market.

Upvote 0
BACKGROUND DATA in the Data Syncronation menu setting. Also, if you are using the Sprint upgrade, turn off WIFI when not using.

I think Zephie added something to his last kernel update that turns WiFi off when sleeping. So, I can leave it on all the time and it is only on when the phone is awake. That was not the case before his fix.

Now, the only time I catch the phone running when it supposed to be sleeping is when Background Data is checked from me being on the Market.

I had background data off the entire time, as stated in my first post. It actually ended up being a problem with the update I received at the Sprint store. It failed testing so they gave me a new phone. So problem solved for me, at least.

If the rest of you are still experiencing battery issues with the official update, I'd recommend taking your phone in.

Upvote 0
I had the no-sleep problem after the latest cl14 update that I self installed. I installed the new modem and system images. Today I flashed the modem back to the cj05 version and my no-sleep problem went away. Also noticed that my phone doesn't flipflop between 1x and evdo as much anymore. Now when I look at battery history in spare parts the screen on time pretty much matches the running time. With the CL14 modem run time was up to 100% and screen on time much less. For me, at least, it seems like there are issues with the newer modem.

Upvote 0
I had the no-sleep problem after the latest cl14 update that I self installed. I installed the new modem and system images. Today I flashed the modem back to the cj05 version and my no-sleep problem went away. Also noticed that my phone doesn't flipflop between 1x and evdo as much anymore. Now when I look at battery history in spare parts the screen on time pretty much matches the running time. With the CL14 modem run time was up to 100% and screen on time much less. For me, at least, it seems like there are issues with the newer modem.

were you running 9.2 kernal ? and you just downgraded to cjo5 ?

Upvote 0
the issue i've had with the newer modem, cl14 is with use wireless networks turned on and google maps, it'll go into an infinite loop with the Unable to get WiFi lock and kill the battery. i haven't figured out a workaround short of turning use wireless networks off or not opening google maps...

Upvote 0
Well we know that the issue can certainly be different if your running the Custom Kernel compared to Sprint's update. For those posting you may want to post your exact version and what settings you are using. That may help in determining what the issue is. Also if you haven't already but are using the custom ROM set up by Zefie and others visit SDX Developers to get more info and help provide feedback so they can correct any bugs your finding.

settings;

Baseband Version S:M900.8.0S.CL14
Kernal Version 2.6.27 moment@momentdev #2
Build Number Zefie's Kernal Version: ZE09.1
Hardware Version M900.8.0

Had Zef's 9.2 running and still had the 1x, EV problem so I switched to 9.1 thinking that may fix it.......still happening.

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox88
Oh and I've also just noticed that since the official update, I am constantly switching between EVDO and 1x. That could be the culprit so I've updated the PRL to see how that goes. Never had that problem before. Are there any other ways to ensure I stay connected through EVDO?

I'm having the exact same problem...any fix known yet?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hellooooo, mods, zef, anyone???? Im tired of having 1x data and my phone randomly going n2 airplane mode. HELP PLEASE :)

Upvote 0
settings;

Baseband Version S:M900.8.0S.CL14
Kernal Version 2.6.27 moment@momentdev #2
Build Number Zefie's Kernal Version: ZE09.1
Hardware Version M900.8.0

Had Zef's 9.2 running and still had the 1x, EV problem so I switched to 9.1 thinking that may fix it.......still happening.
upgrading or downgrading kernel versions shouldn't affect the signal switching issue because its not related to the kernel, it is part of the cl14 system/modem update.
if it is a serious issue, you could try running the cj05 modem or cj05 system and see if the issue goes away. my guess would be the modem.bin !

Upvote 0
ok I had cl14 and cl14 cdma only and 9.2 kernal, I swithced back to SPH-M900_CL14_STOCK_FIXED_with_CJ05_SBL and im not seeing alot of problems I had before

Random Lines thru screen
Swithching back from evdo to 1x
Battery life seemed to get better
randon lines thru the screen are because the ze9.2 kernel uses different graphic drivers which increase performance but result in random lines thru screen.

the switching between evdo and 1x, i thought was a cl14 system/modem issue, not a kernel issue. can you confirm after a few days if using the cl14 kernel has fixed the switching between evdo and 1x?

battery life is better gauged in the cl14 kernel than the ze9.2 kernel of the cj05 release. there is a thread about it here.

Upvote 0
I have had it for 2 days now after switching back. I havent had a problem with switching from evdo to 1x, its really funny some people have this problem and some dont, really wierd. The only time i seem to get any switching is when im in a bad coverage area. Where as before it would randomly switch back and forth

Same here. Switched back to CJ05 modem a few days ago and don't have any evdo to 1x switching issues and battery life is improved as the phone is sleeping properly now. I think the new modem is a little screwed. I've always have "use wireless networks" in location settings turned off. Someone in another forum was saying that if you go into "wireless controls/mobile networks/system select" and select "home only" the evdo switching problem stops. I never tried that though because the older modem has solved my problems. Oh, and I'm running an older ze08.3 kernel.

Upvote 0
hi, new to the forum, well as in posting. anyways, a few days ago i finally got around to updating to stock sprint cl14. next day after the update, noticed my fone died around 2pm, unplugged from charger at 7am, only used it for about 15mins of music while i drived to work in the morning with the screen off. next day same prob, hopped on the forums read up, so i tried flashin zefie 14.3 ontop, still same probs, spare parts is saying under other usage running 100% and under network usage, android is running 100% and also under its stats its recieving some crazy amount of data. now mind you in between all that ive tried disabling use wireless for gps, google latitude was never enabled, and disabling gps itself. ive also tried to home / automatic network switch to see if it was that evdo/1x switch loop. again all to no avail. just now ive flashed back to stock cl14, and ive disabled use wireless and gps. according to spare parts my fone might actually be sleeping again. ill see how it goes 2morrow at work. however, i think this sucks, because my battery life was just fine with cj05 or cl05 not sure which one it is, lol. only noticable improvements i see so far is faster menu slides, keyboard doesnt lag, and thats about it...

just a pre ?, i've tried searching for this, but im not sure if the methods have changed how would i go about flashing back to cj05? just download a cj05.tar file and throw it in that sw updater prog? if so, where can i find a cj05 file, and is there like pre-modified / rooted versions? i like being able to uninstall voice control, nascar, ect.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones