• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post your hidden TIPS/TRICKS/SHORTCUTS/EASTER EGGS here!

FLAWLESSVW

Jun 18, 2011
Cleveland, OH
In another thread, a few of us were discussing some hidden tricks that the rest of us may or may not know, and decided to start a thread dedicated to cool hidden stuff that isn't readily obvious, either on the phone's OS or inside popular apps.

Please post your tips and tricks here. I'm putting this in General, so if your tip only applies to rooted devices, please specify. Even if you think it's something "everyone" already knows...you'd be surprised how many people realize how easily you can take a screenshot with your device or simple things like that!

I'll start with a couple which I'm sure many already know:

1. Hold your finger on the Notification panel and without sliding DOWN, slide your finger left and right. This will adjust your SCREEN BRIGHTNESS up and down without going into settings! Quick time saver.

2. Credit on this one goes to Codegerm: If you're using ES File Explorer, you can establish an FTP connection to your phone over WiFi and access all your files right on your PC! ES>Settings>Remote Settings>Remote Manage. Then on your PC navigate to the provided FTP address (In Windows Explorer, etc.
You can also create a homescreen shortcut to enable the FTP server on the fly. Very handy!
attachment.php

3. ROOT USERS: Rather than repost, I'll summarize and link to my previous post: Titanium Backup Pro let's you create a small widget to Freeze/Defrost/Launch an app. Rather than going through the TiBu UI every time to freeze annoying/invasive apps (like Facebook or other apps that run all the time) you can create a small shortcut to toggle it between Frozen/Defrosted from your homescreen. See my full post and instructions IN THIS POST
attachment.php

attachment.php

4. This one I hope you all know but it is a handy reminder: Holding the hardware Search button of course brings up the Google Voice Search. The most handy feature there is to send a text using only voice (ehem!!! while DRIVING!!!) Simply say "Send text to John Smith. I am running a few minutes late and will be there at five". It is amazingly accurate IMO and I use it all the time. It kills me how many people do NOT know you can do this with Android, but it saves time and keeps your eyes on the road. There are a ton of other commands like sending emails, calling contacts, etc. Say "Navigate to HOME", etc. Full list of commands HERE

I'll try to think of some more I've picked up and will post as they come to me.

Meantime, try to think of the cool shortcuts you use every day that others may have never seen! This could be useful to a lot of us!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-10-02-40-37.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-10-02-40-37.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Screenshot_2013-02-07-00-25-11.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-07-00-25-11.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 275
  • Screenshot_2013-02-06-13-55-30-1.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-06-13-55-30-1.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 269

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones