• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PowerAmp Question - Where are playlists kept?pt?

Zoandroid

Android Expert
May 28, 2010
Ohio - USA
Having searched for the answer to my question it does look like many of you good folks use PoweAMP music player. But I still haven't found the answer. Exactly where, and in what format, are playlist files stored for PowerAMP?

I am moving my files into a Droid X from my previous Android phone, and I'd like to copy my folder playlists over. But I can't find them. I installed PowerAMP on the X and copied the music folder over from my older phone's SD card to the card in the X. But the playlists are not showing. They must be stored elsewhere. I've combed the older phone and its SD card with Root Explorer and can't find any .m3u files or anything that appears to be a playlist file.

I've posted this request on the PowerAMP forum too, but I am hoping one of you already knows the answer and can tell me sooner than any response I might get over ther. Their forum doesn't seem very 'lively'. :)

I have never found where any of the playlists created with an app are stored. I created my playlists on my PC in m3u format and keep them on my SDcard in a directory I created called playlist.

Thanks. What app did you use on the PC to create the lists? I'm wondering if it could be done in similar fashion right on the Droid X? I pretty much create playlists on the spur of the moment.

What I found attractive about PowerAMP is that it allows me to organize and play tunes in my preferred folder sorted order. I never play music in random order or by meta tag arrangement.

Upvote 0
If you create the playlist on your PC using media player then put it on your sdcard you will then be able to edit it on your DX using powerAmp.

As luck would have it, I was able to 'restore' the playlists to my Droid X from Titanium Backup Pro files I had made on my LG Ally. So now I have them back in place on the X.

I didn't realize PowerAMP could edit a PC-created playlist. But I'll keep that in mind for future use. Where is the best place to put the PC-created playlists so PowerAMP will see them? Should they be in the SD folder where all my music resides, or in a folder specifically for playlists? I presume wherever I put them I would have to tell PowerAMP to include the folder in its list of music folders, right?

Edit - apparently PowerAMP will find it no matter WHERE you put it on the SD. I created one in Media Player and copied it to the Droid X SD card. I then made another copy and put it into the SD/Music folder where I keep all my music. I had to reboot to get PowerAMP to see the new playlist, but it sees TWO copies of it!

What I eventually learned is that PowerAMP will see any M3U playlist files you store on the SD card, no matter WHERE you put them (after a reboot) without the need to 'rescan folders' within PowerAMP's settings. So it is important to put ONLY 1 copy of each playlist wherever you want it to be, then re-boot. The only way to eliminate duplicate playlist detections seems to be to delete the duplicate lists within PowerAMP and then reboot the device.

So I am wondering - you said PowerAMP can edit these PC-created playlists. Would I need to reboot the phone every time I were to edit one of the lists? Or is that only to get the whole list registered with PowerAMP initially?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
As luck would have it, I was able to 'restore' the playlists to my Droid X from Titanium Backup Pro files I had made on my LG Ally. So now I have them back in place on the X.

I didn't realize PowerAMP could edit a PC-created playlist. But I'll keep that in mind for future use. Where is the best place to put the PC-created playlists so PowerAMP will see them? Should they be in the SD folder where all my music resides, or in a folder specifically for playlists? I presume wherever I put them I would have to tell PowerAMP to include the folder in its list of music folders, right?

Edit - apparently PowerAMP will find it no matter WHERE you put it on the SD. I created one in Media Player and copied it to the Droid X SD card. I then made another copy and put it into the SD/Music folder where I keep all my music. I had to reboot to get PowerAMP to see the new playlist, but it sees TWO copies of it!

What I eventually learned is that PowerAMP will see any M3U playlist files you store on the SD card, no matter WHERE you put them (after a reboot) without the need to 'rescan folders' within PowerAMP's settings. So it is important to put ONLY 1 copy of each playlist wherever you want it to be, then re-boot. The only way to eliminate duplicate playlist detections seems to be to delete the duplicate lists within PowerAMP and then reboot the device.

So I am wondering - you said PowerAMP can edit these PC-created playlists. Would I need to reboot the phone every time I were to edit one of the lists? Or is that only to get the whole list registered with PowerAMP initially?

Thanks!

No. Once powerAmp sees it, it can edit it and remember.

Upvote 0
Looks like I'm not out of the woods yet here. I decided that I wanted to add a track to the M3U playlist we have been discussing (the PC created one) from within PowerAMP. I looked all over in there and can not find any way to actually edit the M3U playlist.

This list is residing on the SD card in a /Playlists folder. PowerAMP shows it in the list of Playlists, but not the LIBRARY playlists (which are the ones I restored using TIBU). When I long tapped a track and selected 'add to playlist' the only playlists shown available to add to are the ones in the LIBRARY Playlist listing screen. I don't see a way to make it show the playlists in the other "Playlists" screen. There has to be a way, so can you tell me how that is accomplished?

Upvote 0
Thanks! Not only does that work, but I learned what the problem had been. As I had mentioned, I normally work with tracks and folders, not albums and artists. Poweramp maintains two separate types of playlist for these categories. When you import an M3U playlist it sees the list as the latter of those two types. But all of the playlists I had created so far were folder playlists. Accessing them is altogether different. With the method you described I see only the 'playlist' category of lists so my imported list is available. The other way I was doing it only ' folder playlists' were available. I would never have realized this because I was trying to add a track to it from folder view.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones