• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Private fitness app for Android phone - does it exist ?

pacman10

May 5, 2010
I'm fed up with being tracked, spied on, monetized and exposed to whoever wants to buy my data. My health and fitness data and my whereabouts are my business and no-one else's. I want a fitness app which doesn't feed my data to a third party, i.e. which simply captures the data from my various sensors (wristband, GPS, inertial sensors in my phone) and graphs that data for me on the phone screen. I've been trawling Google Play for such an app but the weasel-wording of the descriptions doesn't tell me whether they rely on uploading of the data to function.
Does such an app exist ? I'd happily pay good money for it.

Thank you everyone for this additional information.

As far as I can see the Hplus doesn't exist as a device. All my searches direct me to the Hplus app. That leaves me with Pebble/Mi Band/Amazfit Bip. I've looked these up but cannot see whether they are simply using the GPS for location or have additional inertial location abilities for tracking between tall buildings or under dense forest cover.

To explain where I'm coming from with this I had experience many years back with inertial navigation in the aviation field and then some years ago I bought a little Casio EX-H20G camera for documenting a field trip. The EX-H20G, despite being small and inexpensive, has a hybrid geolocation system which "stamps" each photo with the geographic coordinates of the place the photo was taken and the direction the camera was pointing. Numerous cameras and smartphones have GPS systems for location-stamping of the image files but their GPSs are of limited use because they no longer function when indoors. Casio is, as far as I know, the only one with a hybrid system which functions indoors. "Hybrid" means that it has a GPS and an inertial sensor. If you go into a building and the GPS loses its signal the inertial sensor starts tracking the position of the camera with an amazing degree of sensitivity. When I was in Milan visiting the cathedral it tracked my movements through the nave and apses so that when I took a photo of a mural it was possible to identify the mural post hoc by the position of the camera in the cathedral and the direction it was pointing. The same happened in the Galeria in Milan. However, as far as I can ascertain, smartphones and wrist trackers contain all sorts of gyroscopes and inertial sensors but only use them for sensing footsteps, screen orientation, and so forth. If I walk into a mall with my Samsung smartphone it can't track me any more and tells me the GPS is out of sight. That cheap little Casio EX-H20G with its early 2000s technology just keeps on chugging along flagging my position by inertial interpolation until it gets the GPS signal back again. And looking at its price its geolocation system must cost peanuts.

Have I got it all wrong here ? Are these fitness trackers using inertial tracking but simply calling it something else ? And are there Android apps which use the phones' inertial and gyro sensors to supplement the GPS location ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones