• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Khayman999

Mar 26, 2016
Italy
Hi, I've been using my S7 Edge for a few weeks now and I've had a lot of fun so far; obviously, there are some imperfections with the software but, overall, I do not regret purchasing it.
Anyway, back to the topic; the other day I, while browsing through the settings, I stumbled upon this private mode and thought I'd give it a try and I thought I'd share my experience with it.
I was quite pleased with the results at first because it does exactly what you'd expect it to, i.e. hide files completely from your user interface, even thumbnails disappear from the gallery. Just great, except for the fact that, if your files are located on your sd card, the system, in order to secure them, moves them to the device's memory so, what have I bought the sd card for then?
Apparently, this is another Marshmallow "trait" which cannot be avoided if you're looking to hide some sensitive information you've stored on your device and that's a real shame.
I've also tried another third party app that does exactly the same thing and has got some pretty amazing features as well, other than just hiding files: it doesn't move files to the device's memory, thumbnails still disappear, pin unlocking, device administrator, file recovery, own icon hiding, even fingerprint unlocking and other cool stuff but, there's always a but, it has a slight issue which, according to the app itself, is once again due to Marshmallow which, basically doesn't allow it to simply hide the files where they are stored but the app has to move them to an encrypted hidden folder without actually moving them and, in doing so, it creates duplicate files. In other words, if you had 32gb sd card and 20gb of files on it that you wished to encrypt, you'd be unable to, or at least not completely (20 x 2 = 40gb with only 32 at you disposal).
I'd like to hear other people's opinion and suggestions, thank you.
Daniel

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones