• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problem flashing the new DU (got it)

gale65

Android Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2012
indiana
So i did a clean flash of the latest stable build. Then the keyboard wouldn't work so I downloaded that and installed it and now I can't get titanium backup to download. I can open the play store and search but when I click install nothing happens and it just freezes. I go to the play store on my pc and it says it's already installed on my N5, which I have verified that it's not. Did something not install correctly?

eta: For some reason the pop up with the permissions never came up when I first opened the play store. So I rebooted and when it opened up it asked me about the permissions and it worked.

So i did a clean flash of the latest stable build. Then the keyboard wouldn't work so I downloaded that and installed it and now I can't get titanium backup to download. I can open the play store and search but when I click install nothing happens and it just freezes. I go to the play store on my pc and it says it's already installed on my N5, which I have verified that it's not. Did something not install correctly?

eta: For some reason the pop up with the permissions never came up when I first opened the play store. So I rebooted and when it opened up it asked me about the permissions and it worked.
Usually when I go back to DU, I flash the ROM first then a custom kernel. THEN (after a reboot into the ROM without gapps) I flash gapps to skip the one-time setup menu for gmail (had problems with radio going online on boot so I started doing this). I open google play, force close it via system app info, then clear it's data. Open gp again and I'll get the would you like update news via email prompt and then I can use gp once more. You can also download pa gapps module of the google keyboard to flash after the du ROM but if you like the aosp version more I understand (more characters accessible with one touch).

Upvote 0
Thanks. I actually use swiftkey but in order to download titanium backup I have to get into the play store so I have to have some kind of keyboard to do that. Unlike most of you all I hate flashing a new rom because I hate resetting all of my notification, permissions, etc but oh well. My phone was starting to get hot a lot with the old one. I did use franco kernel before but I use the FKU app so I would still have to get into the play store to download that. I haven't flashed FK yet so I'm not sure what I'll do there.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I actually use swiftkey but in order to download titanium backup I have to get into the play store so I have to have some kind of keyboard to do that. Unlike most of you all I hate flashing a new rom because I hate resetting all of my notification, permissions, etc but oh well. My phone was starting to get hot a lot with the old one. I did use franco kernel before but I use the FKU app so I would still have to get into the play store to download that. I haven't flashed FK yet so I'm not sure what I'll do there.
Can't use voice to say the name in play store? Another option is you could plug your USB in and copy a pa gapps module of the keyboard so you could type out Swiftkey. You flash the zip then you uninstall when your finished (or keep it as a backup KB perhaps?).

There are numerous possibilities why your phone gets hot. You would need to investigate via a battery monitor app or a system monitor app to get some understanding on what is constantly running on your phone. Look for instances where you see frequency stats showing where the majority of time spent on a frequency is not 300mhz, du stock kernel has a tendency to allow a change to increase the minimum frequency of 300mhz which is bad in any case (seems like it only happens to me). Also look for wakelocks, almarms, and services (usually their names will be somewhat related to the source app that's causing them).

This app may dismiss all your ROM flashing woes: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flextrick.settingssaver

It saves whatever settings you put in the rom's system app.

Upvote 0
I never even thought about voice. But I downloaded a google keyboard and installed it and then I was able to go to the next step.

I'll check out that app. I have almost all notifications and a lot of permissions turned off now so that might help (apps not waking up every x minutes) and I greenified most of them too.

eta: I have gsam and better battery stats but sadly, I don't fully understand how to use them to determine what's making the phone hot. I've been reading but most of it goes right over my head.

Upvote 0
I never even thought about voice. But I downloaded a google keyboard and installed it and then I was able to go to the next step.

I'll check out that app. I have almost all notifications and a lot of permissions turned off now so that might help (apps not waking up every x minutes) and I greenified most of them too.

eta: I have gsam and better battery stats but sadly, I don't fully understand how to use them to determine what's making the phone hot. I've been reading but most of it goes right over my head.

That's okay, bbs will prove more useful than gsam. Looking at "other", "alarms", "CPU states", "processes", "partial wakelocks" will show what states/apps that are running (or were running). User apps are the ones you may want to look out for.

I use an app called amplify from the xposed repository. It basically detects wakeklocks and alarms just like BBS but you can delay alarms/wakleocks and restrict services.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones