• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem with HDMI adapter and viewing on TV

calail

May 12, 2010
This past week I decided to upgrade my Galaxy Tab 2 to a Galaxy Tab 4 running KitKat 4.4.2. I love the idea that it has an 11-pin port for charging - so tired of that 30-pin plug And, it's faster, and sweeter all around. Unfortunately, I can't display my tablet's screen on my television. I have no trouble with this configuration on my Samsung Galaxy phones (S4 & S5).

My connection looks like this:
HDMI cable connected to TV. TV set to HDMI port.
HDMI cable connected to HDMI to MHL adapter (purchased here: New MHL Micro USB to HDMI HDTV Adapter 1080p for Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 S5 Note 2 | eBay)
Power adapter connected to HDMI/MHL adapter.
Lastly, HDMI/MHL adapter connected to tablet.

After reading several forum posts (here and elsewhere), I've learned that the Samsung Galaxys often need a 5-pin micro USB to 11-pin micro USB adapter, so I purchased one from Tiger Direct yesterday, and adding to the connection hasn't seemed to make any difference.

I get nothing on the screen. When I connect this same configuration to my Galaxy S4 or S5 (I've tried with both), I get a popup on the phone(s) saying "HDMI connected" but when I connect the tablet I don't get this message, and of course, no display to TV.

I've also tried activating the "screen mirroring" feature on the tablet, and that doesn't seem to make any difference either.

Any ideas what's wrong? How can I make this work? TIA

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones