• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem with HTC Backup. Incorrect cloud account!?

kaotik123

Lurker
Apr 30, 2016
Hello,
So a few days ago, My HTC One M8 decided to randomly reboot itself. When it restarted it went through the whole optimizing each app (which was weird) and then loaded the home screen. But now most of my stuff has reset itself! I was logged out of every app I am normally automatically logged into. All my photos are still there and text messages. But I have lost every single person in my contact book and call log history! This is what I would like to get back.
I made a backup a couple months ago using HTC Backup. This is what happens when I try to restore the backup:
Apps>HTC Backup>Restore from backup>Checking for saved backup>
Then it finds the backup on Google Drive (G*******A@gmail.com) So I select the HTC (This Phone) backup and click next>
Then it saids setting up accounts>Choose an account>G*******A@gmail.com>
Then I get the following error message
"Incorrect cloud storage account"
"Please sign in with the cloud storage account for the selected backup"

Can someone please help? I have opened the Drive app and logged into my account and tried again but still nothing. I assume this problem is arising because of the Drive app or the HTC backup app resetting itself. But I really need my contacts back!

I am running Android 6.0. Not rooted.

Things I have tried to restore my contacts:
Wondershare Dr.Fone
Resyncing contacts on my Gmail, Hotmail etc. (but i never saved them to those)
HTC Phonebook>Contacts to display>All contacts

None of these have worked.

Thanks in advance!

My mistake - I checked in my settings, and you can't back up to your HTC account, but you should be able to restore from a saved backup.

Is it possible you used a different email address for the backup? I'm afraid I won't be of too much assistance, since I discovered the same kinds of problems after my phone shut off due to low battery. My notification sounds were back to default, Weather Channel settings gone, etc, and my contacts show "all," which includes all kinds of information I never intentionally saved.

I'll be watching to see if anyone has some good advice to keep this from happening again.

Upvote 0
HTC backup finds the backup. It is dated end of last year. and it's listed under the same email address.

Yes that happened to me. Low battery then shutdown and this problem ovvured when I charged it and turned it on again. Ringtone reset, all settings reset etc. But deleted my contacts.

So does anyone know how to help me restore my HTC backup or get my contacts back?

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey! It looks like it's been almost a month since you had that problem, could you solve it?. The exact same thing happened to me last night when my phone battery died, I charged it when I got home and now I've lost all of my contacts, I've been logged out of all the apps, and the system doesn't let me run the back up... never had a problem with any of these phones until now, though it looks like it's a super strange and odd problem.

Just for the record this happened to me on my HTC One M9. No rooted. And I didn't do anything different the day of the problem other than normal use.
Did you contact HTC?

I hope you could've solved yours, thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones