Problem with my Mac recognising Galaxy SSupport

1. ChrisMav

ChrisMav Member

Hey Guys, I'm wondering whether you can help, I've plugged my SGS into 2 macs in our house now and I have mounted both of them but they won't show up as mass storage devices :S

My SGS has an inbuilt 16gb sd card but doesn't have a external one, you think this could be the problem?

All I want to do is move music files over to the memory

Cheers

Advertisement
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Try going to Settings --> About Phone --> USB and select "ask on connection". Plug in the phone, then pull down the notification tray and mount the drive and see if that works.

I doubt it has anything to do with having no external card, when you do it just shows two drives rather than one.
  3. ChrisMav

ChrisMav Member

No still not shown as a device :(

I wonder if this is a Samsung or Mac issue?
  4. Loggsie

Loggsie New Member

The default USB connection is to activate Samsung Kies. You'll have to go to settings->About Phone->USB Settings to change. If it doesn't work after changing, soft reset the phone and try again.
  5. ChrisMav

ChrisMav Member

I have solved the problem: USB debugging (Settings>Applications>Development) must be switched on for it to mount properly.
    xpressyrself and brunster like this.
  6. tomhole

tomhole New Member

Same problem, same fix. Cheers man.
  7. gerberman

gerberman Well-Known Member

You lot beat me to it LOL I also found this out (by accident) when i was having probs
  8. tmzbeme

tmzbeme Well-Known Member

in regards to the sd card, it only shows 6gbs ....is the other 2 gbs being used by the system?
  9. ChrisMav

ChrisMav Member

Well I've got the 16GB version and when I checked I only had 13.2 left and that was before I put anything on the phone, so either it's 2GB for the system or that is the amount of GB it ships with :)
  10. ardyer

ardyer Well-Known Member

I'm to lazy to do the math, but that may be due to the multiple methods of calculating a GB. Technically, a GB is 1024 MB, but marketing usually calls 1000 MB a GB, so over the course of 6-8GB, that could cost you some significant space.
  11. tmzbeme

tmzbeme Well-Known Member

24mb x 6 would still come to less than 200mb, so i don't think that's the case, but that's pretty sneaky of them to advertise it as coming with 8gb and not mentioning that only 6gb are actually useable
  12. furstrated

furstrated Member

add the file allocation tables after partition cos that takes space too, the bigger the storage, the bigger the file allocation table
  13. jhune1701

jhune1701 New Member

Is there any way to move contacts from mac to samsung galaxy s. I tried isync but its not recognized it can connect to mac but cannot sync
  14. Lol mahmood

Lol mahmood Well-Known Member

You need to sync your contacts with your gmail account; SGS should then pick them up.
  15. Donnelly

Donnelly Member

I have the same problem...but it used to work!

I changed the default "Samsung Kies" option to "ask on connection" as described above as my phone had started freezing trying to launch Kies once USB was connected...now I cannot Mount the phone, or rather, once mounted, the phone does not show up on the mac as mass storage.

Someone above mentioned soft-reset - what is this and what is the impact of doing it? any user-data loss etc?

thanks for any info in advance peeps!
  16. collinsd14

collinsd14 Member

Is there a way to sync my iCal (on my Mac) to my SGS?
  17. gabbyevs

gabbyevs Well-Known Member

hi first timer here just got an s

was really pleased with it unitl i hooked it upto my mac and the mac wont recognise it at al

ive tried usb debug on the phone still wont show up am i doing soemthing wrong?
  18. collinsd14

collinsd14 Member

Are you mounting the SD card after you plug it in to your Mac?
    gabbyevs likes this.
  19. gabbyevs

thankyou colin ive just tried that and it worked

do i have to do it everytime i connect now?
  20. collinsd14

collinsd14 Member

Ya.. but I saw someone say that there's an app that will enable the phone to auto mount... but I haven't bothered trying it...
  21. dayalsumit

dayalsumit New Member

Hi all. Bought the Galaxy S yesterday. I use a Mac and frankly I've been struggling big time with synchronizing the Galaxy with my Mac Os.

I have spent hours browsing trying to figure out if the two devices can be made to work together. I've tried all the above suggestions and yet my phone doesn't mount on my computer. Which pretty much makes this device and its features useless.

I would really appreciate any advice or solutions about the following:

• Is there a Mac version for Kies ?

• I've tried going to Settings --> About Phone --> USB and select "ask on connection". Plug in the phone, then pull down the notification tray and mount the drive and see if that works. It didn't work

• I've tried USB debugging (Settings>Applications>Development) must be switched on for it to mount properly. It didn't work.
    What do I do ?

the sales guy at the Mobile store had told me that the galaxy works fine with Mac OS. Maybe there are ways around these problems but the Samsung Galaxy S is definitely not a plug and play, phone.

I'd still say its a damn good phone. For PC users.
  22. gabbyevs

did u try and mount itbased on a mass sotrage connection aswell?

i think thats wot mine ending up working with-or maybe the phone is faulty?
  23. dekela

dekela Member

I have been using my SGS with a Mac for over a month now.

Here is what you do to mount it:

About--Applications--development-- Enable USB debugging.

Connect your phone.
    When the USB connect notification appear, Slide the notification bar and select - copy files/folders option.

You will see after a few seconds both your internal and external SD in finder.

2. If you like the itunes way, I suggest that you try Songbird for mac. (Google it) its new version includes an Addon that works with the SGS!

Let me know how it goes.

With regards to contacts and Calendar I sync with Google cloud, Much better if you ask me unless you dont like your personal info on google servers..

Dekel
    dayalsumit likes this.
  24. dayalsumit

dayalsumit New Member

It worked. The phone mounts on my desktop now. I'll look into Songbird and Cloud as well.

Appreciate your help Dekel. Your a star.
  25. Donnelly

Donnelly Member

Ahh....for anyone still struggling with this...Donnelly's No.1 hint/tip is.....try making all the suggested changes above BUT make sure the USB cable is UNPLUGGED from the phone whilst doing them!!

I had been trying to do all this while the cable was in with no success. Just now turned OFF debugging - set the USB option in settings to Mass Storage - turned ON debugging and then connected the cable - mounted - worked.

Cheers everyone - muchos appreciato!!