• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem with my Mac recognising Galaxy S

ChrisMav

Lurker
Jun 25, 2010
Hey Guys, I'm wondering whether you can help, I've plugged my SGS into 2 macs in our house now and I have mounted both of them but they won't show up as mass storage devices :S

My SGS has an inbuilt 16gb sd card but doesn't have a external one, you think this could be the problem?

All I want to do is move music files over to the memory

Cheers

in regards to the sd card, it only shows 6gbs ....is the other 2 gbs being used by the system?

I'm to lazy to do the math, but that may be due to the multiple methods of calculating a GB. Technically, a GB is 1024 MB, but marketing usually calls 1000 MB a GB, so over the course of 6-8GB, that could cost you some significant space.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem...but it used to work!

I changed the default "Samsung Kies" option to "ask on connection" as described above as my phone had started freezing trying to launch Kies once USB was connected...now I cannot Mount the phone, or rather, once mounted, the phone does not show up on the mac as mass storage.

Someone above mentioned soft-reset - what is this and what is the impact of doing it? any user-data loss etc?

thanks for any info in advance peeps!

Upvote 0
Hi all. Bought the Galaxy S yesterday. I use a Mac and frankly I've been struggling big time with synchronizing the Galaxy with my Mac Os.

I have spent hours browsing trying to figure out if the two devices can be made to work together. I've tried all the above suggestions and yet my phone doesn't mount on my computer. Which pretty much makes this device and its features useless.

I would really appreciate any advice or solutions about the following:

• Is there a Mac version for Kies ?

• I've tried going to Settings --> About Phone --> USB and select "ask on connection". Plug in the phone, then pull down the notification tray and mount the drive and see if that works. It didn't work

• I've tried USB debugging (Settings>Applications>Development) must be switched on for it to mount properly. It didn't work.
What do I do ?

the sales guy at the Mobile store had told me that the galaxy works fine with Mac OS. Maybe there are ways around these problems but the Samsung Galaxy S is definitely not a plug and play, phone.

I'd still say its a damn good phone. For PC users.

Upvote 0
Hi all. Bought the Galaxy S yesterday. I use a Mac and frankly I've been struggling big time with synchronizing the Galaxy with my Mac Os.

I have spent hours browsing trying to figure out if the two devices can be made to work together. I've tried all the above suggestions and yet my phone doesn't mount on my computer. Which pretty much makes this device and its features useless.

I would really appreciate any advice or solutions about the following:

• Is there a Mac version for Kies ?

• I've tried going to Settings --> About Phone --> USB and select "ask on connection". Plug in the phone, then pull down the notification tray and mount the drive and see if that works. It didn't work

• I've tried USB debugging (Settings>Applications>Development) must be switched on for it to mount properly. It didn't work.
What do I do ?

the sales guy at the Mobile store had told me that the galaxy works fine with Mac OS. Maybe there are ways around these problems but the Samsung Galaxy S is definitely not a plug and play, phone.

I'd still say its a damn good phone. For PC users.

I have been using my SGS with a Mac for over a month now.

Here is what you do to mount it:

About--Applications--development-- Enable USB debugging.

Connect your phone.
When the USB connect notification appear, Slide the notification bar and select - copy files/folders option.

You will see after a few seconds both your internal and external SD in finder.

2. If you like the itunes way, I suggest that you try Songbird for mac. (Google it) its new version includes an Addon that works with the SGS!

Let me know how it goes.

With regards to contacts and Calendar I sync with Google cloud, Much better if you ask me unless you dont like your personal info on google servers..

Dekel

Reactions: dayalsumit
Upvote 0
Ahh....for anyone still struggling with this...Donnelly's No.1 hint/tip is.....try making all the suggested changes above BUT make sure the USB cable is UNPLUGGED from the phone whilst doing them!!

I had been trying to do all this while the cable was in with no success. Just now turned OFF debugging - set the USB option in settings to Mass Storage - turned ON debugging and then connected the cable - mounted - worked.

Cheers everyone - muchos appreciato!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones