• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem with naming mp3s put on phone.

NotMyName

Oct 21, 2012
Had this with my Galaxy S10 and now my Galaxy S20 so it's not model specific.

I'll name an mp3, stick it on my phone, be it internal memory or SD card it really doesn't matter & when I try to access via "Samsung Music" I can't find the file. Why? Because some times it's in there under a totally different name.

To be clear - some times it goes on there fine & is named what it shows up as in File Explorer on Windows. Often though, files don't & show up as something else.

So when I edit the files (in Windows) using Mp3tag - I can see parts of the file with the name that is being displayed when loaded to my phone.

So I edit this - but it doesn't work.

The only way I've found to do it so far is

* select the file in Samsung Music
* click the 3 dots
* Click track details
* click the pen/edit symbol in the upper right
* Click allow when it asks to allow Samsung Music to modify the audio file
* Then edit as you see fit.

This is the only way I've got it to display the track name as I want to on my phone. Which is pretty annoying & long winded.

Why can't I just do it on my PC? And if I can, how?

I don't use Windows myself, and I don't know Samsung Music. But you can check and easily edit MP3 metadata on your Android device with Classical Music Tagger. https://f-droid.org/en/packages/de.kromke.andreas.musictagger/ I've often used this app.
It says "Classical Music", but it can view and edit all MP3 metadata for any music genre.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones