• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problems after screen replacement

infamshxr

Lurker
Sep 12, 2011
Sadly, I'm at almost at a loss. Did a bunch of Googling for answers but I'm finding nothing...

My screen in my N7 cracked, well not the glass, but the inside, who knows how. So, I found a great video on youtube on how to replace it by
Android Authority (How to replace a cracked Nexus 7 screen and digitizer - YouTube). I followed the directions to a 'T', but nothing happens when I turn it back on again, not a screen flicker or anything. I thought I got a screen that was DOA, so I got it exchanged. Here's the screen I got, linked from the video from youtube (Amazon.com : Generic 2World LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Glass front Panel replacement repair parts for Acer Google Nexus 7 : Touch Screen Tablet Accessories : Electronics). When I plugged it in, I didn't even get the battery symbol showing that its charging. I took it back apart and double/triple checked all my wires and connection, everything looks good.

As of right now, I'm at work, letting it charge at home and will try the following before I give up and throw the d*mn thing in the trash. $350 down the drain...

1. Try turning it on, of course.
2. Try holding down the power button for up to 30 secs.
3. Try holding down power and the vol up key
4. Possibly try to let it charge for a few days before trying options 1-3 again. (according to a post in another forum)

Not sure what else to try. Unfortunately, I already threw the old screen in the trash. Hopefully someone can give me some insight on this before I just say screw it and throw it away. It'll be a sad loss, considering I have no idea how to get anything off of the internal memory.

If the battery was completely discharged then option 4 is a very good idea.

Don't underestimate how long you need to leave a "dead" N7 on charge to bring it back to life, it really can be several days.

Make sure you're using the original charger and cable (or a good quality substitute) as cheap cables and/or low-power chargers can extend the recovery time considerably, perhaps to the point of never recovering the "dead" device.

Upvote 0
Yea, I did let it fully die before replacing it. I had no other way to turn it off, so I figured that was my best option. Apparently not lol. So its still charging. Tonight around 9pm will be 48 hrs, so I'll try again maybe Tues afternoon and report back. Oh, also, yes I'm using the original charger and cord, never had any issues with it, so its the only one I use for it.

Upvote 0
You should have just pulled the battery plug after taking the back off before replacing the screen and plugged it back in afterwards. Never mind though, I'm sure it will recover from the dead battery eventually - so long as the repair you made was successful of course.

Incidentally, it does no harm to try to turn it on occasionally while it's recovering by just holding the power button for a few seconds. If you get any flicker of life leave it another few hours and you should be good to go. It's a method favoured by the more impatient users (like me!) rather than just leaving it for an unspecified number of days :)

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Cracked my girlfriend's N7 by kneeing it while it was on the bed. :(

Anyways... It sat dead for months. I was having charging troubles with mine, so I swapped out USB ports with it on a hunch, and scavenged the batt. In process though, I thought it would be nice to have a second battery charged and ready.

So I put the lady's tablet back together with the suspect USB port (which was fine all along), reconnected the battery, plugged it in with factory brick and cable. As expected, no sign of life. 30 minutes later though, and it had already low-level charged enough to fire up the charge mode with the power button.

Lo and behold, a fully recovered N7 in 3 hours. Can even still use the busted tab now with a bluetooth mini keyboard/trackpad combo.

Upvote 0
I know this probably sounds stupid but trying holding the power button in for a literal 2 minutes. I've had a few situations (especially after 4.2.1 update) where the device was completely dead and I had to leave it on the charger for days.

Anyhow, I would hold in the power button for a while and nothing would happen. Usually I would just leave it and try again later but with the N7 I always keep holding it longer. Long and behold when I was a good 2 minutes into holding the button and about to give up completely it fired up. It really does feel like you've been holding it for ages but at least before you turf it, hold it in for a good amount of time.

Upvote 0
Not sure if anyone still needs help, but I solved my issue. If you've replaced the LCD and digitizer and it won't power on there's a high chance you damaged the LCD ribbon cable. My alarm went off on my Nexus for 15 minutes today filling me with joy. I carefully tested my dad's ribbon cable from his Nexus and the display immediately came back. You can find a new cable for around $10 online. They break very easy if not handled with extreme care. I just hope this helps someone.

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I Hope you are still available on this forum and someone will be able to help me. I have very much the same problem.

N7 1st Gen (bought for my gf birthday) was dropped (by myself :rolleyes:) and cracked screen. LCD underneath was fine but touch unresponsive. I ordered the replacement screen and digitiser assy. Seemed like a really easy job and didn't take me long at all. I have the same problem as above. No display whatsoever, although I know the tablet is booted up as I though to plug into computer after switching on, and my computer was able to detect it as though there was no problem. I just really hope it is the ribbon cable I have damaged (as this is cheap) and not a faulty screen bought via ebay! Can anyone give me confidence that this is the problem (please say it will be just to give me more hope!)

Thanks in advance.

Mark,

Upvote 0
I changed my cracked glass and digitizer on my Acer A210 tablet. It boots and backlight is On, but nothing displays on the LCD screen... I'm thinking of purchasing an LCD cable (although the original one looks good and sturdy, seems to be the problem from some posts here... just wonder if it's worth it... I already paid 20$ for the screen and digitizer, the LCD cable would be another 30$... what if this doesnt solve my problem... <:( What do you pros think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones