• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Proposal/Theory for External SD storage solution on F6

Lol I'm desperate enough that I've started reading e-books on android development. But I must admit, learning this will definitely take some time.

You and me both my man. I have been diving into stuff I didn't think I would. Especially after finding out Cyanogenmod officially ports the entire "L" series of phones, yet not one of any of the "F" series. They have a device request section in which people have requested a port for the F6. I think this "Rumored" 4.4 update is hindering development, I mean why develop a Kit Kat based rom if Kit Kat itself is coming. Makes the work a lot easier for the developers I suppose building on an already Kit Kat system. I keep hearing "June" as far as the update release goes.

Upvote 0
External Storage Technical Information | Android Developers

External Storage Technical Information for Android 4.4

Android supports devices with external storage, which is defined to be a case-insensitive filesystem with immutable POSIX permission classes and modes. External storage can be provided by physical media (such as an SD card), or by exposing a portion of internal storage through an emulation layer. Devices may contain multiple instances of external storage.

Access to external storage is protected by various Android permissions. Starting in Android 1.0, write access is protected with the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission. Starting in Android 4.1, read access is protected with the READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.

Starting in Android 4.4, the owner, group and modes of files on external storage devices are now synthesized based on directory structure. This enables apps to manage their package-specific directories on external storage without requiring they hold the broad WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.

For example, the app with package name com.example.foo can now freely access Android/data/com.example.foo/ on external storage devices with no permissions. These synthesized permissions are accomplished by wrapping raw storage devices in a FUSE daemon.

Since external storage offers minimal protection for stored data, system code should not store sensitive data on external storage. Specifically, configuration and log files should only be stored on internal storage where they can be effectively protected.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-4.4.html

External storage access on Android 4.4

You can now read and write app-specific files on secondary external storage media, such as when a device provides both emulated storage and an SD card. <--- (The F6 for example)

The new method getExternalFilesDirs() works the same as the existing getExternalFilesDir() method except it returns an array of File objects. Before reading or writing to any of the paths returned by this method, pass the File object to the new getStorageState() method to verify the storage is currently available.

Other methods for accessing your app-specific cache directory and OBB directory also now have corresponding versions that provide access to secondary storage devices: getExternalCacheDirs() and getObbDirs(), respectively.

The first entry in the returned File array is considered the device's primary external storage, which is the same as the File returned by existing methods such as getExternalFilesDir().
Note: Beginning with Android 4.4, the platform no longer requires that your app acquire the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE or READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE when you need to access only your app-specific regions of the external storage using the methods above. However, the permissions are required if you want to access the shareable regions of the external storage, provided by getExternalStoragePublicDirectory().

I pray we get the update! It sounds like it could be a saving grace for us! I will be sorely disappointed if we don't. Cause then it's like LG telling me to go Bjork myself, they got my money, now kick rocks..

On other threads I tried telling them... it was coding and software not hardware causing the storage problem. Read and thee shall find solace and wisdom.

Upvote 0
Sounds to me like there is still a heavy reliance on internal memory for sensitive data in 4.4, that being said, its really not on Google, is on the device manufacturers. I mean, as cheap as flash storage is now a $250 Phone should have a freaking 64gb internal partition. Then all of this would be irrelavent

Upvote 0
I mean, as cheap as flash storage is now a $250 Phone should have a freaking 64gb internal partition. Then all of this would be irrelavent

Exactly the point that needs to be made. One would think right? We wonder why Apple charges 100$ for an 8$ flash chip.

The F6 is completely plastic, the only thing on the F6 not plastic is the screen. So we know 250$ didn't go into the phone casing, including the screen maybe 10$ tops. So what was the justification for a 250$ price tag, certainly not the 4GB flash chip it houses. Certainly not an outdated Android OS. You can buy a universal remote at the 1$ store that does more than the IR blaster in the F6. I feel for anyone who paid MSRP for this phone. I am 90% happy with my 50$ purchase, I just want a better storage solution.

Either way I look at it, we need an Official 4.4 KitKat update or a Custom 4.4 KitKat Rom. Either can fix this issue... If people were able to port CM to the "L" series, why can't they do it with the "F" series.

Only answer I can come up with myself is the "L" series was never slated for a 4.4 KitKat update. But the "F" series was. Perhaps this storage issue is why LG Slated us "F" series users for the update and no one else. You would think right, that the F6 being a phone that's used on 2 different carriers would get more attention than just some mediocre device lets say Metro carried.

Upvote 0
CM Port for LG Optimus L9

Official Version 10.2 w/ nightly
http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=p760

Unofficial version 11
[UNOFFICIAL] Cyanogenmod 11 for LG P760/P765 | 14.12.13 - xda-developers
^---- I honestly wouldn't lean towards using this rom, seems a lil sketchy, he stopped providing support from what I read..

Another Tutorial on How to install custom CM Rom on the L9
How to Install CyanogenMod on LG Optimus L9 ("p760") - CyanogenMod

As far as being an official release from LG about us receiving a KitKat update on the F6 I haven't heard any.
Numerous other sites have "rumored" a release for ours with a few select other devices. I have heard from a Metro PCS sales rep one was being issued. As far as I know officially its all hear say so far. I won't know for definite until my phone tells me I have an update.

Upvote 0
What did they do on kitkat that was so drastic? I mean will we notice a difference with our F6 :D?

Android 4.4 KitKat apparently addresses devices that utilize both emulated internal storage and external SD storage. Earlier versions of Android didn't really cross support this emulated file storage system so we can utilize it with our external storage. If you read up on my earlier post about the Android 4.4 External Storage, you would see they restructured the entire file system for users like us. So now we can in theory dump our I.E: GTA SA data to our SD Cards android/data/ location and it actually see it, read it, save it and use it.

I also read something about better memory usage, using 1/4 less than earlier versions of Android. Making it faster and more efficient. As far as any other major improvments over that of the visual eye candy, I really can't say. That's really up to the manufacturers to add the "sizzle" (Yeah I had to quote it, LOL!) I suppose.

As far as I know Jvene the author of this thread is the only person to have a permanent solution for us and our storage issue. If no KitKat update is released or KitKat ROM developed for us, he seems to be the only saving grace. However... He's MIA! Me and many others are patiently awaiting his release.. if it ever comes.. Jus saying.

Upvote 0
Ok i know I'm in the wrong forum probably but seeing if anyone knows whats going on with my phone. so every day before yesterday my phone would charge like normal until i came after work. I have an LG optimus 9 LG-P769. So i hooked it up to the charger which isn't the one that came in the box but it started giving me the slow charger icon. I thought maybe it was the charger like always but i tried three other chargers and it did the same thing. SO if anyone knows what the issue or could direct me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated

Upvote 0
Ok i know I'm in the wrong forum probably but seeing if anyone knows whats going on with my phone. so every day before yesterday my phone would charge like normal until i came after work. I have an LG optimus 9 LG-P769. So i hooked it up to the charger which isn't the one that came in the box but it started giving me the slow charger icon. I thought maybe it was the charger like always but i tried three other chargers and it did the same thing. SO if anyone knows what the issue or could direct me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated

Not all chargers are meant to cross utilized. I had a Samsung non-usb plug charger (Straight plug) one time that would charge my LG phone to 100% in about 15 minutes. The other LG charger I used that was the wall unit + usb cable to the phone would take about an hour or so. I have seen people use the Wall plug, then plug in a 6' USB Extension cable into it, then plug in the USB charger/plug to the extension to achieve a 10' cord radius and it would degrade data and power. That's why they use things like USB boosters n stuff on long runs of usb wire.

Different chargers do different things. There is hardware in those plug in parts of the charger that control output and voltage. It might of gave you that slow charge icon because the chargers you were using were putting out about as much juice as a USB Port. USB cables only allow so much to run through. I hate wall plug + usb cable based chargers. I currently use a LG Straight plug charger (1 piece unit), and use Bluetooth or Wifi Browser for pc transfers.

Try getting a stock replacement charger or a higher rated 2a output or more charger for your L9 and see if that helps.

Reactions: bubbashoe
Upvote 0
Not all chargers are meant to cross utilized. I had a Samsung non-usb plug charger (Straight plug) one time that would charge my LG phone to 100% in about 15 minutes. The other LG charger I used that was the wall unit + usb cable to the phone would take about an hour or so. I have seen people use the Wall plug, then plug in a 6' USB Extension cable into it, then plug in the USB charger/plug to the extension to achieve a 10' cord radius and it would degrade data and power. That's why they use things like USB boosters n stuff on long runs of usb wire.

Different chargers do different things. There is hardware in those plug in parts of the charger that control output and voltage. It might of gave you that slow charge icon because the chargers you were using were putting out about as much juice as a USB Port. USB cables only allow so much to run through. I hate wall plug + usb cable based chargers. I currently use a LG Straight plug charger (1 piece unit), and use Bluetooth or Wifi Browser for pc transfers.

Try getting a stock replacement charger for your L9 and see if that helps.

I will thanks but it was charging just fine the other day. Im using a straight one cable charger its red its kind of oval shaped and its a grey cord one where you can wrap it around and it worked fine the other day i tried other outlets and i gave me the same thing...could it be a battery issue ??

Upvote 0
It very well could be a battery problem. Batteries degrade over time, like cordless drill batteries for example. The weaker they get the longer it takes to charge, until one day the battery simply dies.

Let me ask something, when you discovered this happening, had you had the phone hooked up to a pc/netbook/laptop and unplugged it by pulling the USB cord recently? Your phone could of gotten stuck in MTP mode though, in this mode all it will utilize is slow charge mode. Hook the phone up to a computer via USB and when the menu pops up, see what is ticked in the USB connection menu. If Charge only is un-ticked, tick it. Then eject the media, plug it into a wall charger and see what happens.

This is why windows has the Safely Remove Hardware and eject media functions. It can however be it rarely happen, that when you unplugged it, it locked it into slow charge mode. The phone has a default slow charge mode when hooked to a pc via usb cable because it shares it with the data flow. Basically it lowers power consumption to increase file transfer speed to and from. I kinda laugh at my wife for something similar, she likes to charge her phone via pc and usb cable at work and wonders why it takes hours to charge if it does charge and it never holds a long charge. The phone is only pulling enough power from the USB port to support the user activity that's going on, so when you unplug it you experience no battery loss.. It's not an effective long term charging method by any means.

I have in the past used this method during power outages though. I keep my old unused laptops and netbooks charged to 100%. In the event of a power outage I just plug in and charge my phone or simply use it and not waste battery by plugging it into those devices. Disposable power.

Upvote 0
It very well could be a battery problem. Batteries degrade over time, like cordless drill batteries for example. The weaker they get the longer it takes to charge. Your phone could of gotten stuck in MTP mode.

Let me ask something, when you discovered this happening, had you had the phone hooked up to a pc recently and unplugged it by pulling the USB cord?

This is why windows has the Safely Remove Hardware and eject media functions. It can however be it rarely happen, that when you unplugged it, it locked it into slow charge mode. The phone has a default slow charge mode when hooked to a usb cable because it shares it with the data flow. Basically it lowers power consumption to increase file transfer speed to and from. I kinda laugh at my wife for something similar, she likes to charge her phone via pc and usb cable at work and wonders why it takes hours to charge and it never holds it. The phone is only pulling enough power from the USB port to support the user activity that's going on, so when you unplug it you experience no battery loss.. It's not an effective charging method.
No not recently I'm gonna try some chargers to see if it works what do you think it is

Upvote 0
Hook the phone up to a computer via USB and when the menu pops up, see what is ticked in the USB connection menu. Or you can go to Settings/PC Connection/USB Connection Type/. If Charge only is un-ticked, tick it. Then eject the media, plug it into a wall charger and see what happens.

This is interesting, This amongst one other thing that was brought to my attention today.. The "Slow Charge Mode" and notorious "Stuck in Download Mode" are both major LG brand BUGS! and affect a lot of differnt phone models running both ICS/JB. Both are bugs in which I have never had the pleasure of being introduced to. So gimme time, I'm educating myself and google is my teacher.

After looking at my charger that came with my F6, god its ugly, long and gets in the way (About 3.5-4 inches sticking out of my wall). Also I see it only has a 5V 1.2A output. With a dang near 2500MAH battery in the F6, that's terrible. So using a 2A or better output charger would increase the charging speed by at least 50% or better on the F6.

This 2.4a charging unit would work perfect and is rated for working great with LG devices such as the Nexus and others..

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-2-4-Amp-Charger-Designed-Android/dp/B0073FCPSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1394136577&sr=1-1&keywords=

I'd even spend the extra 6$ and get this too. Again high ratings from LG device users.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-USB-2-0-High-Speed-Gold-Plated/dp/B004GF8TIK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394138222&sr=1-1&keywords=

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones