• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

protect your privacy and save your battery with the best android news, sports, stocks, weather apps.

SGS2

Mar 26, 2011
top secret, undisclosed location
hi everyone! :D

hopefully my many, many hours of research and experimenting will save you time and help you. hopefully it belongs in tips and tricks. being new to this forum, i just spent an hour writing a new thread, and it was lost.

however, it is long, so be warned. if you do not use news apps, business news apps or sports apps, and/or do not care about privacy or security, your battery life, caches, apps that run 24/7, etc., this intense post will not be of interest. ok? fine.

THIS BLOG IS ABOUT ANDROID NEWS APPS AND TO SAVE YOUR BATTERY, REDUCE PHONE LAG, IMPROVE PHONE SECURITY AND PRIVACY, FREE UP PHONE MEMORY/RAM, REDUCING CACHE, ELIMINATE APPS RUNNING 24/7, and solving world peace.

some background first:
i am non-rooted. i have a samsung captivate with the long delayed froyo 2.2 update.

here is my methodology:

apps generally have unneeded, invasive permissions and can be used to data mine, track your location using your gps - fine location, or coarse - via network cell towers, spy on your phone web surfing, your other phone internet bookmarks, your other loaded apps for market research, read your contacts, etc., etc., etc. the extra permissions are used for data mining, period. they will slow your phone, give out private, unnneeded information and build up a cache as well, etc., and run 24/7.

a pro or benefit of android news apps:
apps DO remember your page loading preferences (say the sports section or business section, international news section, a specific stock you like to track, etc.), but they use a cache in the app to do so, and i do NOT like caches, period. i have also noticed they never shut off, even when exiting to spy and data mine.

i do not like allowing permissions unless needed. period. if i had specific stock(s) i like to track, then i would use a business app, no problem. but i do not, and i do not want an app to do so. news apps usually need refreshing manually anyway. my view is why refresh? just use a bookmark, which does not need refreshing!

i only use gps for navigation to save my captivate's battery. otherwise, i do not allow apps to know my location. it's none of their business.

my samsung captivate 2.2 android phone settings and web browser settings:
my settings for speed and security and to reduce my cache, help improve my privacy, ram and battery life are below.

web browser settings:

Your Drudge mobile friendly URL has a typo: it should be idrudgereport.com, not idredgereport.com:

http://idrudgereport.com/mobilefriendly.aspx

Also, this list from Drudge does not include the mobile version of a few notable news sources: CNN (m.cnn.com), or NPR (m.npr.org). These aren't exactly new sites. I wonder why Drudge doesn't link to them?

Here's another list of mobile news sites, claiming to have 75 sources:

http://websearch.about.com/od/themobileweb/qt/mobile-news-sites.htm

Neither Drudge nor about.com includes some major sources:

CBS: http://m.cbsnews.com
NBC/MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com (which automatically displays correctly on small screens without the need for a different host name)

Reactions: SGS2
Upvote 0
thanks chocophile.

i made the correction, and i only listed my favorites above, and i am glad you listed others as well. i personally find most of our mainstream media is not always the best source, so i listed a lot of news wire services and foreign sources.

i did break down, and did add an app, a new, free cnn app. before, the cnn app was from an unknown developer, but now, it is officially from cnn, and includes sms text alerts for breaking news.

this brings up an important point: i would never recommend adding a news app from an unknown developer; only go with an "official" news app.

i despise all the invasive, needless, datamining permissions, so i just added just one official news app, CNN. yes, cnn has way too many permissions, but it is a necessary evil if i want breaking sms news text alerts.

thanks again for all of your sources!!!!! i really appreciate the time you took.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones