• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PSA: Evo uses Micro HDMI....NOT Mini HDMI!

So BOTH the charger port and the HDMI port right next to it are MICRO USB? That sure seems to be a dangerous setup. Quite easy to put the car or home charger cable into the HDMI port and ZAP it. They would have been a lot smarter to make one MICRO and one MINI. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

Has this config been actually verified by a current EVO owner?

Well, the Micro and Mini USB are about the same as far as size goes. Mini HDMI, though, would probably be way to big to fit in a phone.

Upvote 0
So BOTH the charger port and the HDMI port right next to it are MICRO USB? That sure seems to be a dangerous setup. Quite easy to put the car or home charger cable into the HDMI port and ZAP it. They would have been a lot smarter to make one MICRO and one MINI. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

Has this config been actually verified by a current EVO owner?

You can't really plug the wrong one in. 2 totally different holes. :D

500x_img_0239.jpg

Reactions: MisterEd
Upvote 0
Well, the Micro and Mini USB are about the same as far as size goes. Mini USB, though, would probably be way to big to fit in a phone.

First you say they are "about the same size" then you say Mini would be too big. Huh? The MINI is plenty small for a phone (I have both cables sitting on my desk) especially one as big is this one is. You couldn't put a mini plug into a micro jack and vice versa, it just wouldn't go so you wouldn't be able to accidentally blow up your phone.

Upvote 0
The MINI is plenty small for a phone (I have both cables sitting on my desk) especially one as big is this one is. You couldn't put a mini plug into a micro jack and vice versa, it just wouldn't go so you wouldn't be able to accidentally blow up your phone.

micro hdmi is 6.4mm wide and micro-USB connector is 7.8mm wide.

Micro usb wouldn't even fit into the hdmi port. :D

you guys needn't worry

Upvote 0
First you say they are "about the same size" then you say Mini would be too big. Huh? The MINI is plenty small for a phone (I have both cables sitting on my desk) especially one as big is this one is. You couldn't put a mini plug into a micro jack and vice versa, it just wouldn't go so you wouldn't be able to accidentally blow up your phone.

Oops, I meant Mini HDMI...edited to reflect what I meant. :p

Upvote 0
Those are currently on backorder.

I was just posting this to make it clear as there still seems to be confusion. Like I mentioned in my post, Best Buy employees are spreading inaccurate information regarding these cables.

no problem. Thanks for this quick PSA! I know that quite a few stores aren't even aware of Micro Type D HDMI yet either. I think a small shop or company just purchased the remaining molex 350+ qty that arrow had in stock for the 2M length. Here's a 4.92' length one for $8.01:

687860002 | Arrow Electronics Components Search

Upvote 0
micro hdmi is 6.4mm wide and micro-USB connector is 7.8mm wide.

Micro usb wouldn't even fit into the hdmi port. :D

you guys needn't worry

I know it won't fit that was my point. What confused me is they are BOTH "micro" but one is HDMI and one is USB. I thought incorrectly the both "micro" ends were the same plug (USB and HDMI). Didn't realize there were different "standards."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones