• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Pulled the trigger on Titanium Backup Pro...

Just don't restore system (red items) data from one rom to a different rom. That's asking for trouble.

When installing a new rom, I wipe data, stop Play Store from installing any apps, install TIBU/TIBU Pro license, open TIBU and let it change the id back to what I had before (it reboots), then I batch restore missing apps + data and select what I want.

Upvote 0
still learning how it works.

my question is, i have my workplace outlook explorer synced with the stock email app that comes with the galaxy nexus, will Titanium backup save the server settings or will i have to re-sync?

thanks

TiBu will save and restore every app you have,data and settings... but NEVER restore system apps and data from one ROM to another. Bad things will happen.
ALL your user apps are good to go though. One cool feature, under settings, go down to create update.zip. Click, then at the very bottom choose TitaniumBackup.xxx-zip. Next time you flash a rom & Gapps, reboot your phone add your user name and get to the home screen as quick as you can. Do NOT create or sign in to Google. Reboot your phone into recovery and install your TiBu.xxx-zip and when it reboots, open your app drawer and go into TiBu and restore all your user apps...then sign in to google. Any new updates will begin on their own.
Pretty much all TitaniumBackup.xxx-zip is, is to keep from having to sign in to the play store and re download TiBu. This is just faster.

Upvote 0
If you're running the same rom/version, you can restore system stuff like email, but always make a backup first for a different rom or for a rom version that says to wipe before upgrading.

Did you try a reboot?

i sure did try a reboot. i clean flashed the same rom (after making a backup of course). i restored the stock email app and settings with titanium, and it's still no longer synced with outlook. can't figure out what i'm doin wrong lol. that titanium tutorial isn't much help

Upvote 0
TiBu will save and restore every app you have,data and settings... but NEVER restore system apps and data from one ROM to another. Bad things will happen.
ALL your user apps are good to go though. One cool feature, under settings, go down to create update.zip. Click, then at the very bottom choose TitaniumBackup.xxx-zip. Next time you flash a rom & Gapps, reboot your phone add your user name and get to the home screen as quick as you can. Do NOT create or sign in to Google. Reboot your phone into recovery and install your TiBu.xxx-zip and when it reboots, open your app drawer and go into TiBu and restore all your user apps...then sign in to google. Any new updates will begin on their own.
Pretty much all TitaniumBackup.xxx-zip is, is to keep from having to sign in to the play store and re download TiBu. This is just faster.

hm yeah, i'll try it this way. it didn't even restore the data to my ebay app, but i already had the app on my phone.

still can't get it to restore either the stock email app or the data, even uninstalled it before i tried too.

Upvote 0
hm yeah, i'll try it this way. it didn't even restore the data to my ebay app, but i already had the app on my phone.

still can't get it to restore either the stock email app or the data, even uninstalled it before i tried too.

I honesty have no idea why it wont reinstall the stock email app unless it is not compatible with the new ROM.

Someone above my experience and/or intelligence have any ideas?

Upvote 0
I honesty have no idea why it wont reinstall the stock email app unless it is not compatible with the new ROM.

Someone above my experience and/or intelligence have any ideas?

now the stock email appp isn't a google app, so it's on the phone even if you don't flash gapps.

thing is, i uninstalled it, and then tried a restore with titanium and it wouldn't even restore the app.

wish i could figure out how to use this damn titanium lol :D

appreciate your info, that helped understand it better:)

Upvote 0
Welcome to the world of TiBU! :D

It's easy to restore all apps, app data and SELECT system data before even logging into Play. That way there's no conflict. In the menu (3 dots, upper right), select "Update.zip" but name it the TiBUversion.zip so you know what it is. After flashing the ROM and rebooting, DON'T sign in to Google yet. Get to the homescreen, and then reboot into recovery. Install THAT zip, which places TiBU in the app drawer. Reboot system, restore your stuff, THEN log into Play.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the world of TiBU! :D

It's easy to restore all apps, app data and SELECT system data before even logging into Play. That way there's no conflict. In the menu (3 dots, upper right), select "Update.zip" but name it the TiBUversion.zip so you know what it is. After flashing the ROM and rebooting, DON'T sign in to Google yet. Get to the homescreen, and then reboot into recovery. Install THAT zip, which places TiBU in the app drawer. Reboot system, restore your stuff, THEN log into Play.

wouldn't i select system data+apps? were would i select this lol thanks bro :D

ok i just clicked update zip, couldn't see where to rename it though lol

Upvote 0
Here's what I do:

I back up App + system data. All of it. Then on the restore I select restore all Apps and system data, "Let me choose myself", and de-select EVERYTHING.

Then I select the user apps I want to restore (all at the bottom of the list), along with a scant few SYSTEM elements:

Accounts - this will restore your Google accounts
Call Log - this restores your entire call log.
Messages (SMS & MMS) - this restores all your messages.
Wifi Access Points (green and yellow ones) - again, IF you have any. If you don’t have saved wifi points, skip this.

And NO OTHERS. Reboot the phone and THEN make sure my accounts are all syncing the right stuff.

WARNING:

If you are flashing from a 4.1 ROM to and 4.2 ROM, you cannot even restore THESE. Do NOT restore ANY system elements from 4.1 to 4.2!

Upvote 0
Here's what I do:

I back up App + system data. All of it. Then on the restore I select restore all Apps and system data, "Let me choose myself", and de-select EVERYTHING.

Then I select the user apps I want to restore (all at the bottom of the list), along with a scant few SYSTEM elements:

Accounts - this will restore your Google accounts
Call Log - this restores your entire call log.
Messages (SMS & MMS) - this restores all your messages.
Wifi Access Points (green and yellow ones) - again, IF you have any. If you don’t have saved wifi points, skip this.

And NO OTHERS. Reboot the phone and THEN make sure my accounts are all syncing the right stuff.

WARNING:

If you are flashing from a 4.1 ROM to and 4.2 ROM, you cannot even restore THESE. Do NOT restore ANY system elements from 4.1 to 4.2!

For some reason, backing up and restoring my call logs and messages never worked like that for me. I'll restore my call logs, messages, and WiFi access points in TiBu and it says it backed up/restored successfully, but it doesn't actually restore the data when I go to look at my call logs and messages.

What does work for me, even when restoring this data from a 4.1.x to a 4.2.x based ROM, is backing it up to an XML file. You can do this by opening TiBu, clicking the settings (3 dots) at the top right, then select "Backup data to XML." From there you can back up your bookmarks, Messages (SMS & MMS), Call log and WiFi Access Points. I was able to restore this data going from JBSourcery 3.2 to 4.0 with no issues.

Upvote 0
Futile!

futile_zps4415dae7.jpg

Upvote 0
Don't forget to set up a schedule for auto backup. It's a handy feature to automate the process and stay current. I do apps + system data twice a week during the overnight. Tibu backups overwrite each other so you're always current without having tons of needless backups laying around.

If you flash a lot and don't care about texts, call logs etc like myself, then just use the batch option to restore missing apps with data. You still need to weed through them if you backup apps + system data. What ends up in that list is certain baked in system related apps from your previous rom. You would NOT need to weed through them if you only backup user apps with the autoscheduler.

I just backup the system data in case I do have the rare need to bring something back like a text or phone number that was in my call log etc. 9 times out of 10 and probably even more, I don't use the system data at all.

Reactions: NSutherl
Upvote 0
Don't forget to set up a schedule for auto backup. It's a handy feature to automate the process and stay current. I do apps + system data twice a week during the overnight. Tibu backups overwrite each other so you're always current without having tons of needless backups laying around.

If you flash a lot and don't care about texts, call logs etc like myself, then just use the batch option to restore missing apps with data. You still need to weed through them if you backup apps + system data. What ends up in that list is certain baked in system related apps from your previous rom. You would NOT need to weed through them if you only backup user apps with the autoscheduler.

I just backup the system data in case I do have the rare need to bring something back like a text or phone number that was in my call log etc. 9 times out of 10 and probably even more, I don't use the system data at all.

where do i find that batch options? i just hit 'backup and restore', and then 'restore apps' and then restore data

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones