• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Putting movies on Droid X and playing via HDMI

I though only movies recorded by the Droid could be played out the HDMI output and movies from other sources would not play on the HDMI. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

I'm waiting on my cable to arrive to test this.

The Droid X's HDMI drivers are enable when you are in Gallery mode. If you copy a movie (no DRM) over from your computer and you can see it in your Gallery then you can output it to the HDMI. Or an easier route if you have the hardware is to use DLNA.

Upvote 0
I though only movies recorded by the Droid could be played out the HDMI output and movies from other sources would not play on the HDMI. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

You're wrong.. :D;)

As long as your phone can playback the movie (stock media player, Rockplayer, etc.) and it can be seen in Gallery mode then it can be played out via the HDMI to your TV.

I think you may be partially wrong as well. I could never get anything to play using anything other than the stock player. Rockplayer was a good media player but at least when I tried it, it wouldn't play anything out over HDMI.

I didn't mess with DLNA to much as it seemed buggy as hell.. I've got about 10 devices total that are DLNA compliant in addition to several windows 7 machines.. It was hit or miss at best getting it to work with any of them and it was never reliable sadly.

Upvote 0
You're wrong.. :D;)

I think you may be partially wrong as well. I could never get anything to play using anything other than the stock player. Rockplayer was a good media player but at least when I tried it, it wouldn't play anything out over HDMI.

I didn't mess with DLNA to much as it seemed buggy as hell.. I've got about 10 devices total that are DLNA compliant in addition to several windows 7 machines.. It was hit or miss at best getting it to work with any of them and it was never reliable sadly.

I think you're right about RockPlayer. I haven't used it but a lot of people here do. I mixed the two things up, i.e. playback on phone and playing in Gallery mode to output.

I'm just now learning about DLNA, and am in agreement with you. I still don't fully understand how to get everything working, but supposedly you can use your phone and either a PS3 or Xbox 360 to output to your TV.

Upvote 0
I can get only movies I recorded with the cam to play thru HDMI. I converted movies to MP4 and they will just play on the phone. AVI works fine on phone just not on TV. No big deal.

You should be able to play your converted movies out over HDMI as well so long as they play in the stock player.

What you may have encountered is something that I did with one of my TV's. On my Panasonic Plasma and Vizio LCD they played just fine. But I have smaller Samsung LCD's in my kids rooms and it took quite some time for it to actually start playing on them. I think part of that is because it seems like there is nothing active on the HDMI port till you are playing something out, so the TV doesn't register there is anything connected until you start playing your media.

Upvote 0
Yes, u can play downloaded DVD movies through your HDMI. I use Frostwire/Limewire and download the movie i want. I use AVI format. Then transfer to your SD card. I then open Astro app find the movie, open with stock media player and when it pops up hit the HDMI button in the top left hand corner and bam your done. I had only one problem with one AVI file that wouldn't play. Most should work. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones