• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about MHL video out

imabitfighty

Sep 16, 2012
Highland Park
I could potentially have a lot of use for the video out on this phone, like I did on my triumph, but my situation is that right now I only have a projector as my main screen and it only has VGA inputs.

I connect my pc to it by using a small DVI to HDMI adapter, but it only works becuase my videocard supports passing thru the vga signal over the DVI cable. the dvi cable has pins for it, its part of the spec.

my question is this, would a VGA adapter on the end of an HDMI cable coming out of the phone work the same way?

does the phone output vga along side the hdmi out? I know its part of the HDMI spec but that feature is optional in some gpus. I just have no clue if the evo 3d supports that.

anyways I want to order all the adapters and stuff I need but Id really like to hear from someone that can test this or has tested it already. becuase If I buy the things just to find out for myself and it doesnt work, im out that money because I have no use for them if they dont work.

OK, I know i ramble lets make this clear once more.

I want to do this.

Phone > MHL > HDMI > VGA adapter > projector

can anyone test it to see if the phone passes vga signal alongside the hdmi output?

You'd only be out the $8 or so for the mhl cable. It seems that you possess the rest of the items and at least once you have the cable in hand it allows you to try out different scenarios to try to get it working. Just a heads up, a lot of the cables have a box hanging off a relatively short cable that your power and HDMI attaches to putting a lot of stress on the phones connection. The one that I have and use is a 5 foot cable with the micro usb on one side and the HDMI out on the other and the power connection close to the HDMI connection so there is no stress involving the phones connector just a cable coming out the same as if you had the charging cable attached.

Upvote 0
I want to do this.

Phone > MHL > HDMI > VGA adapter > projector

can anyone test it to see if the phone passes vga signal alongside the hdmi output?

That most certainly will not work. While the DVI spec does include analog capability the HDMI spec does not.

You would need some sort of HDMI -> VGA convertor box, which would be a little silly honestly.

A better idea might be to look in to a nice A/V Receiver. I have a really nice Pioneer one that I use to hook up 2 PS3s, a computer, the Uverse box, a Wii, and my phone to my projector with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones