• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

question about possibly bricking your phone

chevanlol360

Android Expert
Oct 28, 2011
new york
Ok so I'm about to root my samsung transform ultra running android. 2.3.4 ok so my question is can you brick your phone even without installin a custom rom? Cause I'm new to the android OS and I'm a IOS device user and I know all my jailbreaking stuff but I don't know anything when it comes to android and rooting anyway I'm only rooting my phone to install couple apps from the android market like wifi hotspot screen shot it etc if I'm only installing apps from the android market is there still a possiblilty that I could brick my phone? Cause I'm not going to do all these crazy stuff that ppl do I'm only installing simple apps dat requires root nothing else.

ok so i wonder how do people end up bricking there phones? is it because they screw around with custom roms? i was thinking about rooting my phone but not to change or install new roms but be able to download the hotspot app from the android market thats about it ohh and a screen shot app that requires root other than that can i still end of bricking my phoone just by downloading simple apps like that from the android market?

Upvote 0
You won't brick your phone by just installing apps, so, no worries there.

You will brick your phone if you rush into rooting without researching the right steps. They vary by make and model and are not just generic.

Biggest cause of bricks I see are - I have phone made by company X and I went to the company Z and decided to try that rom instead of mine.

We have a root section for each Android phone, and all supported devices we know of are listed here -

Android Phones - Android Forums

Rooting is simply the act of giving you the equivalent of Admin access to a PC. It has to be done correctly.

Hope this helps, welcome to the forums!

Reactions: chevanlol360
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones