• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question regarding Gmail and Labels

punkzanyj,

Thanks for the response. The odd thing is that the emails are new and unread....they just go into a "folder"(/label) so that I can sort them out easier. The problem with that is they skip the inbox and go straight to the folder, even though they are still marked unread. If I view labels and scroll through, there are unread mail counts for the new mail.

Still same issue?

Upvote 0
punkzanyj,

Thanks for the response. The odd thing is that the emails are new and unread....they just go into a "folder"(/label) so that I can sort them out easier. The problem with that is they skip the inbox and go straight to the folder, even though they are still marked unread. If I view labels and scroll through, there are unread mail counts for the new mail.

Still same issue?

There are no folders, they don't skip the inbox, they're labels. It's a fundamentally different idea. There's only 3 folders in gmail - Inbox, Trash, and Archive. Labels are, as you said, a way to organize them, but setting up automatic labels doesn't skip the inbox (unless you've set it to archive or trash the mail).

That is, of course, of you're using the Gmail app. Some people have their email routed to the email app via IMAP or something along those lines. I don't know how that works out.

I would open the Gmail app on your phone, tap menu, tap settings, and make sure you've got the "Email Notifications" box checked, and make sure you go into "Select Ringtone" and make sure you've got something set up there. If you're using the Gmail app, and have that all set up, I don't know what the issue is then.

Upvote 0
punkzanyj,

Sorry, I'm still used to the general IMAP type interface presented in Mail.app on OS X, where the labels are folders. I do use Gmail, and I have roughly 8 filters setup. Their respective action is the skip the inbox and apply a filter.

The reasoning for this is because if I do not then they appear duplicated within my mail client. It perhaps is just a somewhat mental thought issue on my part, but I don't like seeing my mail client saying I have 2 unread mail when it is the same mail showing up in 2 locations.

Thanks for the responses.

Upvote 0
so you are using the Gmail app on your G1, or not?

The reason I ask is that most of my emails have filters, I don't have anything skipping the inbox, and they never duplicate. They show up in the inbox with their labels, but it's only one email. Are you saying you get the same email twice if you don't skip the inbox? That's really bizarre.

Upvote 0
I am using the Gmail app on my G1. I have several filters that are set to skip the inbox, but that is simply because, on my desktop in Mail.app (default OS X mail client), the emails appear twice (once in inbox, once in folder representing label).

This appears to be something I need to look into with Mail.app.

Upvote 0
I can't find a way to do this. I have a similar setup, where I have my primary email check a secondary email account, and skip the inbox and apply a label. I treat my labels just like folders. I do NOT want any emails that have multiple labels, because if you do use a mail app like thunderbird or outlook, they WILL show up in 2 places.

So, for those of us who treat labels as folders, it would be very handy to be able to get notifications of new emails with specific labels, but it does not appear to be possible right now.

mm0

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones