• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question Thread for Smartphone and Droid Incredible Newbies

I'm curious about a lot of things myself, however one quick question. The Incredible has prompted me to sync with my Google account so I can download apps.

My question is do all of you use your main gmail account for this? The main reason I ask is because I only have one gmail account, and its mainly used for forums etc. Its quite old and has a lot of spam in it. So was wondering if I should just signup for a new Gmail account and start fresh so as not to have any issues with my phone.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Is there anyway to make the Incredible vibrate when you get an email or other notification. I can't seem to find a way...the only thing I see are different sounds? Does anyone know how to do this?

You should have a settings field in the menu of most apps. Within that field there is more often than not a notification setting somewhere. Open your app, hit the menu key and look around.

Upvote 0
Ok check this one out.

Since the DI is multi touch phone, when typing a text message how come i can't hold the shift key and hit a letter in order to do a capital letter or post a symbol like a "? or !" In order to post a symbol i have to switch over to the symbol screen and select from there and not use the MT feature

Upvote 0
My question surrounds bringing in contacts from Gmail/Google Account. Currently, Gmail only has one field for name and I have mine set up as Last Name First Name . I would imagine the phone has separate fields for first and last name. How is this going to work when it imports my contacts? Or do I need to change how they are setup in Gmail before I go to sync on the phone? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
The learning curve from a phone that acts merely as a phone to one that is basically a mobile pc + phone is huge. Especially with Android as it is still pretty much in it's infancy and many may not be familiar with it. Almost everything was frustrating when I first got my Eris. . . but I played around with it, searched around online, found this site and found so much info before I ever asked a question. Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0
My question surrounds bringing in contacts from Gmail/Google Account. Currently, Gmail only has one field for name and I have mine set up as Last Name First Name . I would imagine the phone has separate fields for first and last name. How is this going to work when it imports my contacts? Or do I need to change how they are setup in Gmail before I go to sync on the phone? Thanks in advance.

If they're set up in google as Smith, John (for example) it should populate the name fields correctly (smith in last name, john in first). But when you scroll through your contacts list, it's arranged by last name.

Reactions: jprow507
Upvote 0
i think thats the only way....there may be an app that u can use the optical mouse to turn it on though

Wow, that is a major letdown for me. Many times I have my phone on a table/desk with a website or something, and I like to just keep touching the screen and seeing updates. Now it takes two hands to hit the power button, one to swipe down to unlock and yada yada.

Never thought I'd say this, but score one for the Storm. Yikes.

There should be a setting to remove this, since the power button and slide are redundant IMHO.

Upvote 0
If they're set up in google as Smith, John (for example) it should populate the name fields correctly (smith in last name, john in first). But when you scroll through your contacts list, it's arranged by last name.

Thanks do you know whether or not a comma is necessary for it to recognize the separate fields. Mine is set up in Gmail as

Smith John
Smith Jane
Smith Ed
etc.

Upvote 0
lockbot

-it will allow you to use the optical button to wake the phone
-allows you to change the unlock screen to IMO, a useful one like the nexus one where you can unlock or mute, or you can do an iphone screen or others
-I have read stuff on it crashing sometimes, im using it now, going to see how i like it, might buy the pro version so i can do more stuff with it if this one works good

Upvote 0
someone asked earlier, but got no answer..
I have had gmail for years, and there is tons of crap in the spam and other folders; I use it mostly for forums and other stuff..
when I get my incredible tomorrow, and it asks to sync with my gmail, is all that crap gonna download to my phone? as earlier suggested, should a "fresh" gmail account be setup for emails only?

thank you!

Upvote 0
why do you need 2 hands to do it? pinch the power button with your middle or pointer finger while you place your thumb on the bottom of the phone....then simply swype down with your thumb to unlock

Well that is awkward, at least for my hands, and the reason I never used the lock on my Storm. I rarely have a problem with accidental pushes, and like the simplicity of touching the phone once and it being on right away. The Inc is currently two steps MORE than what I'm used to.

lockbot

-it will allow you to use the optical button to wake the phone
-allows you to change the unlock screen to IMO, a useful one like the nexus one where you can unlock or mute, or you can do an iphone screen or others
-I have read stuff on it crashing sometimes, im using it now, going to see how i like it, might buy the pro version so i can do more stuff with it if this one works good

Good to hear there is a potential solution. Let me know how it works out, I'd look into this once I get mine. (Currently playing with fiance's Inc). The optical button would be great since it is low profile and near the bottom and front facing, where I can easily reach it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones