• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

riffdex

Android Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2010
A few months ago, my mother soaked her Droid ERIS in beer. It would not turn on and we had the Assurion insurance plan set up so we just filed a claim and said we lost the phone (I put the phone in a drawer) and we got a replacement which she is currently using. Now I just happened to pick this thing up and press the power button on it. And for some reason it powered up and is working fine, after being in the drawer for months (the weirdest thing is I'm quite sure the battery would be completely dead since it's been in there, but I guess not). My question is, is there any way that VZ or Assurion will be able to see that I turned on the phone and it is working or track it in any way? I turned off GPS satellites, for what it's worth. Also, it appears this phone might still be activated still (though I don't know if they stay activated if we filed a claim for a new phone). Is there anything I need to do to make sure this thing is de-activated? I was going to just keep it incase her current ERIS ever dies, but is it possible they have this phone blacklisted so it cannot be activated again?

BTW if it matters the only reason we said we lost it (rather than saying it was dropped in beer) is b/c we knew for sure the insurance plan covered lost phones, and we didn't want to give the company any chance of finding a loophole not to cover us, we thought it was just easier to say that.

Well keep in mind, you did say you LOST it, not that it was stolen. So its not as if (not that they would if it were stolen) they are actively tracking the phone. Even if they did "track it" you could just say you found it under some floor boards or something. But im pretty sure instead of going to that, they just block the ESN so that if someone picked it up they couldnt activate it. Im also pretty sure that if and when you report a phone as lost/stolen that they blacklist it that second.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input guys, you made some good points (=
About an hour ago I did a factory reset to make sure it was completely deactivated, I will probably just keep it for use as an internet tablet when I have access to wifi. However, it seems like I cannot download apps from the market. It seems saying "download was unsuccessful, please try again". I have my wifi set up properly and can browse the web/etc. And I am logged into my gmail acct which is working fine on my moto droid. Anyone know why the market wouldn't be working? (The browser let's me dl files no problem)

Upvote 0
Market started working randomly. One last question, how would I go about checking to see if the phone is blacklisted or not? I don't exactly want to call vz up and tell them I have a possibly blacklisted phone o_O
I think you could call them and say "you got it from a friend" and were wondering if you were still able to activate it. Not sure on the exact procedure though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones