• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

questions about ota updates

webstar

Nov 6, 2010
First of all, just wanted to say hi to everybody. I've been reading this forum for some time, but only now decided to register...

I'm thinking of buying an unbranded htc desire, but i'm worried about official updates, as i'm not keen on rooting and flashing roms (not really sure how simple/complicated it is, but i don't wanna mess something up, and void warranty). So, my questions would be:
1. If i buy an unbranded desire, will i be able to get generic ota updates as soon as i turn on the phone?
2. If so, will those updates be available as soon as htc releases them?
3. Is there any chance that the phone doesn't show any updates, even though there are updates available?

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, i'll try to answer your questions and if i'm wrong some will correct me, and rightly so.

1) Yes, as long as there are updates available and the phone is a genuine generic unbranded phone.

2) You will get the updates as soon as HTC release them for your region or IMEI.

3) No, you can also check for available updates manually, just in case.

Reactions: webstar
Upvote 0
Thanks man.
Also, wanted to ask something but i dont really think that its worth of opening another thread, so i'm just gonna do it here... I've read about some restarting problems desire has, and i'm wondering if it's fixed by now or is there another way to be fixed besides sending it back to htc/carrier? I'm not really sure i want to buy an expensive phone like desire, and then not use it for some time while it gets back from repair.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones